Thinking of buying more than one TT One 3rd...

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One Third Edition
TomTom One Third Edition Navs (TTO3D) are selling for $150 now.

They may get even lower in price in a while............I might get another!

For Wify and/or Teen daughter.

Do you think it is possible to "Restore" one TTO3D's Backup to a different TTO3D ?

If I copy everything over to my Hard Drive using Windows XP, could I not then put that
one "backup" onto multiple TTO3D's so they are all identical?

Were I to "Update" the MAP on one, then I could do all of MY own TTO3D's with one update
by Restoring to all of them from the Updated TTO3D's backup...(hard to say all that!).

The idea is to buypass that Hideous download of the updated MAP file for ALL of the
TTO3D that I own. Just one Download - then one backup and several restores.

Did I explain that well, or not?

Just a thought.

DoctorBill

My understanding is that each map is 'locked' to a specific device via TTHome software. In other words, while that which you desire makes perfect logical sense, the maps copied from unit a to backup to unit b won't get 'seen' or activated by unit b.

My understanding is that each map is 'locked' to a specific device via TTHome software. In other words, while that which you desire makes perfect logical sense, the maps copied from unit a to backup to unit b won't get 'seen' or activated by unit b.
That is correct. The maps are tied to the unit's product code.

If you request it wihtin 30 days of purchase, you are supposed to get free access to the
updated map.

Problem is - try downloading 878 MB via DIAL UP !

I called, got tired of the young lady appologising ad nausium and demanded to speak to her
SUPERVISOR.

maceandchain10ia.jpg

He promised that they will send me a DVD with the MAP on it.

He said they used to do that, but people were pissed about it and WANT (no - DEMAND !) that they
be able to download...

Go figure.

Even is you had DSL, it would take a hour - probably !

So, if the SUPER keeps his word, I'll have a DVD with the NEW MAP on it.

Problem is, it probably won't work with a second TTO3Ed........

Moral of the story - within 30 days of purchase, call and ask for a
Supervisor and ask for the DVD !

You will have a Hard Copy of your new map...

DoctorBill

PS - don't you just hate those "Customer Service Reps" appologising until you barf !

Like the "Have a wonderful day" parting comment from clerks....like they care!

Last edited:
LOL, yeah, I think someone else addressed this in another thread somewhere. I have a T1 line, I forget how long it took me to d/l my 710 map.

In reality, it is not the whole map folder that is unique for each system. The map's file with the .dct extention is the one unique for each individual TT system. There are also a few files that would be different such as the mapsettings.cfg that contains home location, favorites, last destinations etc. Then you also have the MapShare updated files that could differ from unit to unit such as one may have updated with Home more recently than the other unit with different settings. Fortunately they are not very large files.

Are you saying that you could obtain the NEW MAP just once and then, using your Windows XP computer,
transfer the Map File to a second or third w/o any Unit Code problems?

One could mess about with this, I suppose, and if the unit stops working, RESTORE one's
ORIGINAL files and be back to square one.....

Yes ?

DoctorBill

Are you saying that you could obtain the NEW MAP just once and then, using your Windows XP computer,
transfer the Map File to a second or third w/o any Unit Code problems?

One could mess about with this, I suppose, and if the unit stops working, RESTORE one's
ORIGINAL files and be back to square one.....

Yes ?

DoctorBill
I knew Gilbert would confuse you on this... The answer is no, as I said before, if you bout a second unit, you would need to BUY a map for EACH individual unit. Maps are specific to a unit's device code, and cannot be transferred to ANY other device.

Ask a Question