Thinking about buying a new tomtom

Hi,
As the thread mentions I am thinking about buying a new tomtom. Someone purchased a tomtom one for me last year. It also has a traffic RDS receiver, which is a separate accessory. Do the latest tomtoms have this included in the unit? This would be really useful : ) Can you please advise a model that I can bu with this facility built in?

Here's a link to the British tomtom site, showing available products.

The 'live' models have traffic built in but it is a subscription series. You can still obtain models that will take a European rds-tmc antenna if bought separately. The subscription is free in Europe. The Go series of models (530, 730, 930) will take the antenna. You may be able to find these models if you hunt around.

This link may help in your search.

The closest you will get to a device from TomTom with a built in RDS-TMC receiver is the x40/ x50 active mount with the receiver built in to the car dock as there are no TomTom devices with the receiver built in to the actual device.

As an alternative consider the Live devices which do have a built in GPRS modem and SIM card, via a monthly subscription you get the HD Traffic service (European Only) as well as other Live services, whilst this costs more the actual Traffic data from the Live service is considerably better than that supplied by the RDS-TMC system for a number of reasons:

1/ Reception issues, the UK is still problematic but I am not too sure where you are located.
2/ Data, whilst RDS-TMC is good when it works the HD Traffic system is considerably better

Mike

Thanks for your responses. To be honest I would rather put up with the ugly RDS-TMC receiver than pay a ?7.99 monthly charge! I can understand if you use it for work, but I only use it a small amount of time.

Ask a Question