Thieves use GPS to rob your house

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
This is probably a repeat of some other post, as it applies to virtually all GPS models and brands, but a search didn't return one, so here goes:

Situation: You've driven somewhere (away from home) and parked. Car locked, etc. Thief sees nicely mounted (and obvious) GPS, looks into car to see if garage-door opener is also there.... jackpot!

Thief breaks window, steals GPS and opener. Gets in their own vehicle, powers-up the GPS and navigates to (your) Home. Upon arrival at your house, they check the place out (someone's gone, they know), and use the garage-door opener to have a good shot at breaking into your house. Clever, eh? And too easy!

So that's a good reason for mounting your device in a less-obvious spot AND using password protection.

There are many news stories of this, but here's one FYI: GPS Theft Alert

Protect yourself!

That's fine, but my strategy is that my "Home" is really an intersection down the road that doesn't correlate to any real houses. Certainly, I never leave my 720 in plain sight, but if it's ever lost or stolen, it won't be used to locate my home, or any relatives houses either. Inconvenient perhaps (for some), but functional. Home should not be the coordinates of your driveway...or mine!

I cannot believe you would leave that information in a car. I bet you do not destroy your envelopes, junk mail ,computer printouts and old invoices.

In some peoples bins you can find what they eat when they shop, Their income and enough information to take over their identity.

We have a compost bin for all addressed postal rubbish. and I would never leave my GPS in a car if it was removable. We work on the premis that if we make things difficult for theives they are more likely to try elsewhere.
Terry

I cannot believe you would leave that information in a car. I bet you do not destroy your envelopes, junk mail ,computer printouts and old invoices.

In some peoples bins you can find what they eat when they shop, Their income and enough information to take over their identity.

We have a compost bin for all addressed postal rubbish. and I would never leave my GPS in a car if it was removable. We work on the premis that if we make things difficult for theives they are more likely to try elsewhere.
Terry

Well the insurance papers MUST be in the vehicle,so I can't see this not being an issue.Unless you have a shredder in your vehicle ,there is going to be a time when there are envelopes/mail in there,because we don't have home delivery here.

It'd depend on the country you live in. Nonetheless, I guess you'd be safe to carry the insurance papers on you (pocket) and not in the car?

In MA, registration of vehicle (and the Progessive insurance ID card) MUST be in the driving vehicle at all time.

That's fine, but my strategy is that my "Home" is really an intersection down the road that doesn't correlate to any real houses...

Good strategy "Youth..." and one that would seem to make sense for everybody.:)

Should have also added to original post:
There is a mounting trade-off here. The most usable place to mount is near your normal driving field of vision (and within arm's reach). If you move it "more out of sight" you may lose 1) visibility, 2) operability, 3) quality of voice response, and 4) signal strength. On the latter, I've been using the TT remote antenna and it works great. Cheap too.

Last edited:
In Australia the only requirement is that you carry your licence with you and there is an up to date Registration sticker on the windscreen (no Personl Information) and the licence plates comply. In an accident you state your insurance company and give personal contact details to authorised people. We have a personal injury insurance that is part of the registration and is compulsary. Then there is either 3rd party damage to other vehicle or fully comprehensive to all. Provided you are not drunk or on drugs

Do you really have to leave the insurance papers in the car. Cannot you keep them in a wallet on you?

Ask a Question