The TomTom We All Want is Coming

This will be available in the US TomTom just confirmed that for me. It'll connect via wifi, bluetooth or a built in 3G modem. It has lifetime maps. This is an Android Tablet. I'm not sure what they will charge for this but I have a conversation going with a TomTom sales rep so we'll see. It definitely sounds as though it's available as a stand alone product.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/bridge/#tab2

February 25, 2014

Introducing TomTom BRIDGE - where best-in-class navigation and business applications
come together

~ New solution enables integration of business applications with TomTom technology ~

Mobile World Congress, Barcelona, 24 February 2013 – TomTom is launching TomTom Bridge, enabling the seamlessintegration of TomTom technology with applications to help businesses achieve their efficiency goals.

For the first time, businesses can develop applications*, powered by TomTom navigation technology, all accessed via a single device.

TomTom Bridge helps businesses who manage a fleet of vehicles, work smarter and move faster. A TomTom platform for developers enables businesses to easily integrate their own applications with TomTom navigation technology. Businesses can now access all their applications via a single TomTom Bridge device, further increasing efficiencies.

Built for life on the road, the TomTom Bridge device has a rugged, industrial design, 7-inch screen, unique interface and powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon processor. The device comes with lifetime TomTom Maps and award-winning TomTom Traffic. It includes innovative features such as Near-Field Communication, camera, WiFi** and a 3G modem.

"TomTom Bridge opens up a world of possibilities to every business that runs a fleet of vehicles." says Corinne Vigreux, Managing Director at TomTom. "We have designed TomTom Bridge to be an easy and flexible way for businesses to develop applications that seamlessly connect to TomTom technology. TomTom Bridge offers a new way for any type of business on themove to harness the power of our technology to work more efficiently, saving time and money."

TomTom Bridge will be available in Q2 2014.

For businesses looking for a more comprehensive solution to manage their fleet, TomTom has a range of options. At the same time, TomTom will launch a version of TomTom Bridge integrating WEBFLEET***, one of the world's most reliable and robust fleet management platforms.

- ENDS -

* TomTom navigation API and platform SDK make it straightforward for other companies own developers to integrate Android- based apps with our TomTom navigation software.

** It also brings an easier way to update content via Wifi or SD card.

*** The TomTom PRO 8270 solution

Attachments

• tomtomrental2_tcm131-54117.jpg
    tomtomrental2_tcm131-54117.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 623
  • tomtomrental_tcm131-54116.jpg
    tomtomrental_tcm131-54116.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 562
  • tomtomrental2_tcm131-54117.jpg
    tomtomrental2_tcm131-54117.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
Who knows -- perhaps once the SDK escapes TT NL, a decent UI can be created and distributed by their 3rd party customers for these Nav4 designs!

The US model will not have a 3G modem at this time. Just wifi and bluetooth.

Ballpark pricing $550.

The pro model which will have a built in camera and support near field (for accepting credit cards) will be $650.

Its expensive but maybe worth it.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/bridge/

TomTom Bridge

Our standard model comes with full navigation coverage of either Europe or North America. A standard version for trucks and lorries will also be available, showing routes and relevant map features for heavy goods vehicles.
Standard features include:
- 7” touchscreen WSVGA
- Powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon processor
- USB/BT/WiFi connectivity
- G-sensor, compass, Gyro
- Micro SD access
- Hardwearing cradle, compatible with 12/24V charger (included) and compatible with any semi-integration vehicle setup
- Replaceable battery
- Integrated 2W speaker

TomTom Bridge Connected

Our premium device includes all of the features listed above, along with these additional features:

- 5 megapixel camera and flashlight
- Near-field communication
- 3G-embedded modem

The US model will not have a 3G modem at this time. Just wifi and bluetooth.
Plan on using a smart phone for network connectivity via Bluetooth. The previous 'Live' models were 2G, which is why TomTom will have needed to switch to something different. AT&T has already set a deadline for pulling down all of their 2G service. Rather than dealing with the fractured cell phone infrastructure in NAM, they figure you can bring your own connection.

The G sensor, electronic compass and gyro should prove an interesting set. No problems navigating in tunnels or weak urban canyons, but also possible to observe (ahem) driver habits. Say hello to Flo for us!

This is part of the NavKit design structure, it is based on a very extensible API. Tomtom says they are actively working on a number of automotive contracts to get similar stuff integrated with the rest of a manufacturer's dashboard ecosystem. Tomtom is returning to their 2008 design with a flexible extensible infrastructure.

Bridge looks really cool, but how "consumer-usable" is it? Does it even have a mount?

I'm still waiting for an aftermarket company to put Pandora and HD traffic on the same indash unit in the USA, that's my next big purchase... but so far I'm still waiting...

"flexible extensible infrastructure" ... with an NDA, a license, and perhaps some $? Not quite like it used to be.

Still waiting for my in-dash dream unit with full integration of a system like a TomTom Live. They almost did it with Sony. Almost. They need to hit the OEM market, and hit it hard.

Plan on using a smart phone for network connectivity via Bluetooth. The previous 'Live' models were 2G, which is why TomTom will have needed to switch to something different. AT&T has already set a deadline for pulling down all of their 2G service. Rather than dealing with the fractured cell phone infrastructure in NAM, they figure you can bring your own connection.

The G sensor, electronic compass and gyro should prove an interesting set. No problems navigating in tunnels or weak urban canyons, but also possible to observe (ahem) driver habits. Say hello to Flo for us!

There is a 3G modem built into the more expensive model but imo having a wifi or bluetooth connection works just fine for me. The sales rep just said the US market won't have it right away. If it was unlocked I could put my own sim in it and go from there.

I would have to see this before shelling out that money but TomTom is close by in Burlington, MA so I may take a trip if they have a demo unit.

I have to weigh this against a Phablet that I can out a sim in and go plus use other android apps.

I wouldn't expect to see the 3G version in NAM at all. I suspect that will be used elsewhere in the world. But we'll see.

For a good while now, I also think anything you see coming out of TT will be Android based. Between this unit, their phone app, and their new Nav4 units, the platform is beginning to converge. From a development point, that makes a lot of sense. However, I have not been a fan of certain aspects of the UI that has been used on any of these platforms. Will have to see if that matures (and improves!) over time.

Still waiting for my in-dash dream unit with full integration of a system like a TomTom Live. They almost did it with Sony. Almost. They need to hit the OEM market, and hit it hard.

Have you checked out Parrot Asteroid? They just added HD traffic to the TT app.

Problem for me is that Parrot doesn't have Pandora.

I wanted to get to CES to see the Parrot booth (they were just down the hall from TomTom), but didn't make it.
What I cannot sort out at all from their web page is how well they have integrated their units with existing steering wheel controls. I also don't see any reference to XM. So at the moment, I don't know just how much I lose in the process of trying to gain a better in-dash unit.

Parrot Asteroid is an in-dash Android fork, with their own Asteroid appstore.

Tomtom decided to sell the TT for Android app on the Parrot appstore. You have to buy the app and buy traffic, just like you do on the Google store.

I just read the extensive TomsHardware review of the Asteroid smart.

Steering wheel support is there, no XM. However there seems to be no restriction on sideloading so the XM and Pandora apps should work fine.

So I may actually get this thing... decisions, decisions. I've never played with a such a customizable toy in this price range so it is risky.....

I wonder what they'll be doing with the NFC chip?

Ask a Question