The owner of this site needs to do the right thing and shutdown the SPAM

Especially if your taking the RSS feed, the spams get through before the mods have a chance to take them down.

This is why moderating new users posts is so important. Most if not all of the spammers will not take the time to post on topic material just to get by the moderators. Their tactic is to hit and run not stick around.

What about a halfway solution. If the problems are all coming form non-US and Canadian sources - why not put the 48 hour delay on their being able to post while clearing the US- Canadian new members as per current practice. You could include a message to overseas posters explaining the processes and asking the legitimate ones to have patience.

Opps - did not mean to leave out Australia from the group with US & Canada. Anyone from there offended - I owe you a Coopers.

Just an update:

We are working on the spam situation and hope to have it resolved very shortly!

Thank you all for your suggestions and patience!!

Thanks Jason.

Still one free and quick way to stop the spam would be to turn on moderate all new users. I would not just use a post count or number of days but a combination of the two. You can leave it up to the mods based on what they see being posted when to all the users to post unmoderated.

Spammers are not going to post for a few days worth of posts just to then send one spam message which would get them banned.

You could turn this on today and almost no spam would reach the members.

There are some very useful tools over at vBulletin.org, I admin many sites and use vb and I do not have spam issues like this site does. Admins get your butts over there and do a little modifications on here and your done.

There are some very useful tools over at vBulletin.org, I admin many sites and use vb and I do not have spam issues like this site does. Admins get your butts over there and do a little modifications on here and your done.

I can not believe not one admin has replied to any PM's or post, I am beginning to think this site is just a money maker for them because of the ads I block with FireFox and they just don't give a flying ****, as long as they make revenue.

You all really need to pay attention to your members!

First of all, Upgrade to Vbulletin 3.7.x as the current version is very very old and been a few major security upgrade since 3.6.0.

Next... Install this simple mod!!!!!
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=183329

Incase you dont want to upgrade to 3.7.x there is a version of NoSpam for 3.6.0 as well.

Works wonders and will stop this stuff dead in its tracks. I install forums and forum mods and run a few forums including my own and its not that hard. This should have been take care of ages ago.

I was having issues with spammers signing up and even with the captcha on they still got by it. So I turned on the must activate your account before you can post and that stopped it some what. I still found myself deleting inactive accounts like crazy. Then I installed the equivilant of the NoSpam! mod that is for VB on my phpBB site and stopped it dead! I have not had a single spam account in 4 months now. Not a single one!

You do know that 99% of these are bots (Bot software) and not humans registering and posting. Thats why this works as good as it does. ;)

Here is how mine works when you register...
vd2sme.jpg

And here is what happens when no answer is given...
9kx8xg.jpg

And this is with the wrong answer...
24c5eti.jpg

You can set up your own question and answer. Some have simple ones like what is 1+1 or something like that. It was one of my members that came up with my what color is the pink flower thing.

I have asked about this, Have offered to help, have PMed what I thought was a mod, never get anything back. If you need help with getting this spam thing taken care of let me know and in about 30 min I will have it taken care to never been seen again! :D

That will mean more time to have fun and post and less work. :)

Last edited:
Hippie, try to pm JOHN or JASON, the 2 admins of this Board. Only they can change the software.

Will do. :D I really like this place but the spam is starting to get out of hand big time I think and I may be able to help with getting it taken care. At least point em in the right direction anyways. :)

I'd have to say the problem here is that we have no weight behind our voices with the admins. It's a non-pay, public access site, so why should they care what we think or say as long as we keep coming back???? I strongly disagree with that line of thinking, but that doesn't make it any less true. They simply are not willing to expend the time and energy that admins of other boards have in order to improve the forum we all enjoy. The loudest voice that we can all speak in is to take our collective consumer dollar elsewhere. When their advertisers no longer see fit to pay for a board full of members who no longer see their ads, I imagine action will be taken.

What do you all think? This version of vbb has some vulnerabilities and I just checked. Maybe if it were to go off-line because of them they would fix it.

True that, no clicks, no ad views, no money...
They would fix it, but if you used your acct &/or IP you'd most likely get banned
hint hint...

What do you all think? This version of vbb has some vulnerabilities and I just checked. Maybe if it were to go off-line because of them they would fix it.

:D :D Get on it already. lol Just kidding. But I bet it would get the ball rolling and im not gonna be the one to do it. :)

Ask a Question