The moment of truth is here

TomTom Model(s)
540 S
OK

My 540S has arrived. It has been un-boxed. I am a bit intimidated. I made the back-up as suggested by so many on this forum. I've downloaded Tom Tom Home. It's asking me if I want to download the newest map that comes with the unit. What say you. Should I do it? Is there something I'm forgetting? Have any others experienced map downloading problems common wioth other units? Canderson, DHN, where are you?

what's the LMG map??????

Yes I used Explorer just like the Posts said. Actually that was pretty easy, even for me.

Last edited:
LMG=Latest Map Guarantee

If the map that came with your new TomTom wasn't 8.45, then you're due that map free. Assumed that was the map you mentioned.

Gatorguy,

It's the map that Tom Tom home says I can download free of charge. If that's the one your talking about and you think I'll be good to go, then I'm going to hit the download button.

Where abouts in Florida. We lived in Florida until we moved to the North Georgia Mtns 2 1/2 yrs. ago.

How do you check the map version in the unit now?

Tap the satellite bars on the unit. The next screen shows the application version number. Now, tap the version number and the next screen shows the map installed and its version number.

Well, my map update was a piece of cake.

I held my breath and hit the map update update button. It started cranking and then all of a sudden I get a "server error". What in the world is that? That's when the acid started to churn in my stomach and thoughts like, "oh well, here we go again" started to overcome me. This has to happen me because I'm ME!!!! Well, I feel brave and start the whole process over again and guess what? SERVER ERROR So it's just about 10:57 p.m my time and customer support closes at 11:00 p.m. But feeling lucky I called them anyway. The GPS gods were with me because someone answered me after about three minutes on hold. An extremely delightful and knowledgeable young lady came on the line and told me to basically run through the steps I'd failed on twice earlier. As luck would have it, it started right away. Go figure! She told me everything should be OK now and to let it download to my computer and then it would automatically start to update my unit. "Just be sure my unit was connected to the computer" she said. Excited as I was that everything was going to be alright, I grabbed a pillow from my bed, kissed my wife goodnight, and sat in my recliner in my office, figuring I'd wake up in an hour to check on the download. One hour later, "DOWNLOAD STOPPED DUE TO UNKNOWN ERROR". I just knew it wouldn't be that easy. So, I started the process over again and fortunately it let me pick up with the download where it got hung up before. Nervous, I snoozed again in hopes of waking up with a fully updated 540S. Approximately 3:30 a.m. I awoke to a computer screen saying "Windows has downloaded new updates for your computer", and my sign on screen is glaring at me. I found to my dismay that the download had been stopped AGAIN, albeit a little further along than before. So, I made a pot of coffee and started the process AGAIN! I sat and watched that little blue line move across the screen for an hour and a half, until it said the download was complete and it started to update the unit itself. Another forty-five minutes later and "PTL", it is done. Now on to learning how to use it.

Ask a Question