text-to speech???

TomTom Model(s)
XL & 720 & 920
I found this in a review on WWW.GPSMAGAZINE.COM. Is it true?

Like the TomTom GO 910, the ONE comes with a large library of built-in voices, and can be expanded by downloading additional voices via TomTom's website. There are computer generated voices, and real human voices to choose from. If you select a computer generated voice, the ONE will read aloud street names via text-to-speech. If you choose a human recorded voice, only a handful of voice prompts are announced (i.e. "keep right at the fork" instead of "keep right onto Main Street").

Perhaps pre-updated firmware that disabled this feature. It was a licensing issue. The unit itself is capable, but TTS is only licensed for the 910.

Well I'll be....
it took some reading to find it but on page 2 (http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2006/09/review_tomtom_one.php?page=2 ) it states:
Like the TomTom GO 910, the ONE comes with a large library of built-in voices, and can be expanded by downloading additional voices via TomTom's website. There are computer generated voices, and real human voices to choose from. If you select a computer generated voice, the ONE will read aloud street names via text-to-speech. If you choose a human recorded voice, only a handful of voice prompts are announced (i.e. "keep right at the fork" instead of "keep right onto Main Street").
And this review seems to have been written in Sept, 2006.

I think the editor was mistaken or as peviously stated perhaps the older firware allowed this, but no longer.

Interesting reading none the less.

I also noticed that on p3 of the review (near the botom) it mentions that 'Clear Route' is on page 1 of the main menu:

Take a look at this! TomTom has finally added the Clear route to the main page on the Main Menu! Previously, if you wanted to add a Clear route button on your TomTom GO, you had to select "Show All Menus" from the "Change preferences" menu. And even then, the Clear route was buried 2 levels deep, meaning you had to essentially press 4 buttons if you wanted to cancel a route while you were driving. Now TomTom has put this essential feature where it belongs: up front and on the main menu. Thank you TomTom!

Now, I could only achieve this by building a custom menu - has something changed somewhere along the line and if so did I miss it? :confused:

Wayne

well the review is 6 months old.... :D I don't know about TT devices but I know PCs can chage a LOT in 6 monhts!!! ;)

.... cancel or allow....

NO! the ONLY TomTom device legally able to have text-to-speech is the 910

"tweaks" were out there that allowed ANY TomTom device to use text-to-speech, but as any non-910 owner knows, the device didn't come with the license so it was illegal. TomTom put a stop to the use by implementing something in a firmware update. The only way for a non-910 to use Text-to-speech is to have a certain firmware.

a very old firmware. What you lose is not worth the gain of TTS.

It does suck up a lot of RAM however. I'm not sure if 29MB is enough to run everything especially since I'm consistent between 0.0 and 0.4MB of free RAM.

Ask a Question