Taking Detours from Route

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 3rd Edition
TT One 3rd Ed. 7.161

I'm purposely pushing this thing in an attempt to learn its shortcomings. So I take it with me on local trips where I think I know my way around and deviate from the calculated route.

I start out from my departure point on the calculated route. After a few miles I decide to take my detour... the TomTom re-calculates the ETA and route on the fly which I think is pretty cool. I take a second detour and again I get a new route and ETA. Still good.

However, when I reach my destination, I expected the summary page to show my entire route from the original point of departure. Instead it only shows the part of the route from my last detour. Not very useful if I wanted to, for example, mentally compare my own route length to the original.

Why does it do this? Am I using this wrong or is it just a limitation in the software?

Thank-you.

It does this because when it recalutes a few times, you will notice the starting point change from your original location to your re-routed location.

I guess to avoid this you may want to try the find alternate route and select via travel.

It does this because when it recalutes a few times, you will notice the starting point change from your original location to your re-routed location.

I guess to avoid this you may want to try the find alternate route and select via travel.

If I understand correctly, using the "travel via alternate route" function is something to do before starting the trip? If so, I already know how to do that.

From what you're telling me, the behavior of chopping up of the route happens normally if I decide to take some detours during the trip.

"Everything functions normally and there is nothing else I should do"... was all I was wondering. I guess I was also hoping there was some hidden option that would prevent the original starting point from moving when it re-calculates the new part of the route.

Thank-you!

Last edited:
From what you're telling me, the behavior of chopping up of the route happens normally if I decide to take some detours during the trip.
I guess I was also hoping there was some hidden option that would prevent the original starting point from moving when it re-calculates the new part of the route.

Thank-you!

Unfortunately, this behavior does happen. There is no option that would prevent this from happening. :(

Ask a Question