Taking a VIA 53 (ZM Serial) to USA

Hi- I'm considering taking my GO 53 (German bought) for a trip to the USA and Canada. Apart from buying and downloading a USA maps is there anything else I should take into consideration. Also, due to the limited storage capacity of the VIA 53, will I have to delete by EU map before installing the USA map.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

There's a fair possibility that you'll have to swap maps.

Your Via 53 (not GO 53) device has either 8GB or 16GB of internal memory.

Your Via 53 device's serial number starts with ZL, ZM, ZP or ZQ.

ZL and ZM devices have 16GB of internal memory. ZP and ZQ devices have only 8GB. In the latter case, you'll definitely have to swap maps. In the former case, it's going to be close.

If you have a ZL or ZM, can check the device's remaining available memory. Menu / ? / About > "Free space" "x.xxGB internal memory".

Compare the free space to the size of the map you have downloaded and figure that the device will want to reserve about 500MB of space for its own use.

The good news is that your maps are held 'on account' on the TT server, so you should have no issues swapping back and forth apart from the long time it takes to move full map sets back and forth on/off your Via 53.

Thanks for the tips - I don't know where that GO 53 crept in, yes it is a VIA 53. Confirm that I have a ZM. So I'll give it a go.

Ask a Question