Synchronizing his and her Tomtoms

TomTom Model(s)
Two XL 330 S
My wife and I have been sharing an XL 330 S. Finally decided to get a 2nd one. I have been poking around in HOME and do not see a way to 'download' the favorites from one unit to the other. Can this be done, or am I forced to re-enter all of the favorites on the new unit manually? It would also be nice if I could 'transfer' all of the settings. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks, Matt

Ad

Advertisements

dhn

TomTom Model(s)
Go 50; Go 520
Certainly maps cannot be shared between 2 units. The favourites, etc. are stored in the mapsettings.cfg file located in the specific map folder. I have my doubts that even this can be shared, even if the map is the same on both. You can try it but make sure you've made a nExplorer, not Home, backup first.

What many people do is convert the favourites to a custom poi category. Download poi edit from poiedit.com and input YOUR mapsettings.cfg file. All your favs will appear. Save each item as a point in a custom poi category called, say, '_My Favorites' (no quotes). The _ at the beginning ensures this category will 'float' to the top in your poi category listings.

This custom poi file will get saved as a .ov2 file and you CAN then not only copy it to your map folder but also to the map folder on another unit.

Whenever you get a map update for a unit, just copy this ov2 file along with all your other ov2 custom files to the new map.

By the way, make sure you register the new unit at TomTom using a different email address (doesn't even have to be a real one) than for the first unit.

Ad

Advertisements

TomTom Model(s)
Two XL 330 S
Copying the mapsettings.cfg file worked

Thanks for your reply. I tried copying the mapsettings.cfg file first and that seems to have worked. I first connected each unit and 'updated' via HOME to be sure they were in the same versions. Then I connected unit #1 and copied the file onto the compter. Connected unit #2 and copied the file from the computer. All of my favorites appear to have transferred okay. Thanks again.

Ask a Question