Symbols for Categories

I have an XXL540TM. I have entered several categories on the device. However, I didn't pay much attention to the symbol beside the Category name. Now, I would like to go back and change some of the symbols, but haven't found a way to do that. Any idea's?

I have an XXL540TM. I have entered several categories on the device. However, I didn't pay much attention to the symbol beside the Category name. Now, I would like to go back and change some of the symbols, but haven't found a way to do that. Any idea's?
If what you're saying is that you are creating custom POI categories for your device, it is possible to add icons that are unique for each of them.

In your map folder of your 540, you will find a file whose root name is whatever you called your POI category. For example, if you created a category called JUNKYARD, then you will find a file in your map folder called JUNKYARD.OV2.

If you create a small 22x22 pixel *.bmp file called JUNKYARD.BMP, that icon will be associated with your junkyard POI when you view them on a map. Lots of programs will create the necessary 24 bit *.bmp files. Microsoft Paint is a "freebie" for Windows users that will do it. Just be sure you set up the size to exactly 22x22 pixels.

I use four different custom icons for four POI files that I need for my TomTom. They look like those I have attached.

Is that what you were hoping to do?

Attachments

• Geocaches.bmp
    1.5 KB · Views: 345
  • GeoFound.bmp
    1.5 KB · Views: 371
  • GeoFoundArchived.bmp
    1.5 KB · Views: 348
  • GeoMine.bmp
    1.5 KB · Views: 325
Symbols for Categories.

Thanks for the reply. I will check into creating some symbols. In my initial question, I was referring to using the default symbols that are available when you first create the Category. I goofed at first when I just let the default symbol, a red square, assign itself to the Category. Since some of my categories are unique, I wanted to add more definitive symbols to the various categories, so they would be more identifiable on a map.:)

Go here for a listing of a bunch of bmp files you can use with your custom ov2 file.

Just download what you want and rename EXACTLY to match the name of the custom .ov2 file.

e.g, Customers.ov2 requires Customers.bmp, not customers.bmp or CUSTOMERS.bmp.

Just place the .bmp file (and the custom ov2 file) in your specific map folder.

Thanks for the reply. I will check into creating some symbols. In my initial question, I was referring to using the default symbols that are available when you first create the Category. I goofed at first when I just let the default symbol, a red square, assign itself to the Category.
Ah, got it. I don't know of any way of reversing course once you've got one assigned, either.

Have fun with the custom ones. You can have a lot of fun with them.

Ask a Question