Switch voice prompts off?

TomTom Model(s)
iPhone
Hi there to everyone.

My first post here, so I hope I can explain this properly.

I have TomTom running on my iPhone, all is well, but I would dearly like to switch off the voice prompts but keep the alerts (safety camera's etc....) so that I can listen to my iPod with minimal interruptions.

Is this possible?

With a Jail Broken iPhone you can load a silent voice pack then select that for the voice of choice, putting custom voices on the TomTom iPhone app is possible but needs the phone to be Jail Broken and some software on the PC to send the files to the correct folder on the phone - Mike

Thanks for the reply.

Luckily, mine is Jailbroken, so I can do what you recomend.

Where would I get the silent voices and software to put on the iPhone?

Thanks

I will reply to this thread later today with the files attached to the thread that you need for the silent voice.

To get it on the iPhone you will need an application on the PC to send the files across to the iPhone I use something called "Disk Aid" its not free but it certainly doesn't break the bank, about $6

This application lets you see the files on the iPhone in a Windows Explorer style view, you can also copy/ delete files on the iPhone. You need to find the main folder where the TomTom application is stored, in there will be a sub folder called "voices" delete one of the existing voices but make a note of the number the file will be dataXX.chk (where XX is a numeric value), leave the 03, 04,05, 06, 07 files alone as this is where the English speaking voices are. Probably best to remove something like "Manderin" - will let you know which number that is when I post later.

With the replacement file on the iPhone start the TT application and go to where you select the voice, choose "Manderin" and it will use the file containing the silent voice.

The other suggested way of doing this is to mess around with the contents of the apk file then re-load the whole application but this method no longer works, the DiskAid method works fine though and is a way of installing third party POI files to the TomTom iPhone app - Just a shame that there is very little custom POI support in the iPhone app to make use of the additional data - Mike

Download the attached file and unzip it to produce a file named "data118.chk"

Use DiskAid to copy this file to the voices folder which you will find in the TomTom app folder, it will replace the existing data118.chk file.

Start the app and go to where you change voices, switch to the Male Manderin voice, it will still say Male Madering along with the associated picture but the silent voice will be played in place of the Manderin one for Navigation - Mike

Attachments

• data118.zip
    16.8 KB · Views: 315
hi mike,

this partly works.
Still, when playing music, the volume is decreased when tomtom used to give a direction, and is increased again afterwards.
thanks,
Nick

Ask a Question