Suntime v1.7

TomTom Model(s)
GO 910, ONE V2, GO 920 GO 730 & iPad TT App
I'm not sure how many users know about this application, but for non X10 owners, Suntime provides an automatic change of day/night screen colors depending on GPS position and time. It fixes the problem encountered on GOx00 and allows to choose between a dawn/twilight change or a sunrise/sunset change.

Get it here

Back up your TomTom before installing.

v1.3 is up.

Rousillat, how does the program tell btwn twilight and sunrise/set? Obviously the length of twilight is different in the summer and winter.

The length of twilight is fixed in suntime.

I have not yet the algorithm in mind, but I think it's something like a certain amount of time removed from the sunrise time or added to the sunset time.

But, do we really need an accurate time, when all this is related to the height of sun above the horizon, which is rarely visible if you're on the sea side ?

ahh I see.

well, twilight in summer is still pretty darn bright. twilight in winter is short and definitely darker.

It's okay then. I'll use twilight for summer and sunset for winter! That should be a good compromise.

Thanks!

P.S. I read on 'yournav' that we can manually turn on suntime? I couldn't find the instructions in that thread. Also, you said it won't turn off until you reboot. By reboot, you mean turn TomTom off right?

ahh I see.
P.S. I read on 'yournav' that we can manually turn on suntime? I couldn't find the instructions in that thread. Also, you said it won't turn off until you reboot. By reboot, you mean turn TomTom off right?

No, you can't turn it on manually.

A reboot is when you see, at start up, the loading progress bar. On a Tomtom with SD card, you get it when you remove the card. On other devices, you get it when using the reboot button with a pin.

I'm wondering if this is worth installing if I'm on a different time zone just about every week. Would I end up having to switch to night view manually anyway? Thanks for any insight.

I had a long post but then thought if the GPS can tell you where you are, maybe it can also tell what timezone you are in and auto adjust the clock.... something to look into.

Does this app auto-adjust the time? I know my TT does not. Since I live in Texas, the clock always stays on CST no matter where I'm located, unless I manually adjust it. This is one of the few things Garmin is better at, it adjusts the time for you based on where you are located.

I stand corrected. Apparently I spoke to soon earlier. Now that 'someone' has found the 2006 manuals and 'I' went and read through mine. It states the TomTom will automatically sync timezones (page 32)

clock.jpg

I'm wondering if this is worth installing if I'm on a different time zone just about every week. Would I end up having to switch to night view manually anyway? Thanks for any insight.

If your TZ changes frequently, you'll have a problem with suntime because you won't be able to change it's own timezone.

A future version of suntime will look for the timezone parameter in Tripmaster's config file, so you'll be able to change suntime's TZ value.

http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/suntime.php?lang=uk
Configuration
The /suntime directory must contain a file called /suntime/config.txt with the following content :

gmtoffset offset_value
twilight yes or no
period period_value

with :
offset_value going from -12 to +12, defining the GMT offset for the concerned time zone, this value may have decimals to set a GMT offset like 9h30, by setting a value equal to 9.5
twilight must be followed by yes if you want the change to happen at dawn/twilight or no if you want the change to happen at sunrise/sunset,
period_value represents the time gap, in seconds, between two checks.
If this file is missing, GMT offset is equal to +1, the period is equal to 60 seconds and change happens at sunrise/sunset. This file is included in the zip file.

Does this mean that even though a GPS knows what timezone it is in, the suntime program is hardcoded to a particular timezone? Meaning if I traveled across the county from GMT -0500 to GMT -0800 the program would change my day/night settings 3 hours sooner than expected?

Ask a Question