Sudden USB Device Loss

Very Strange. Up using TThome with my new 740 in dock and connected to USB. All was working fine and then all of a sudden computer reports unknown device connected to USB. Had been working fine and I was doing nothing more than trying to see if I could operate my device via TT Home.

Shut down TT so no display at all, reconnected dock to usb port, powered on tt and get "USB Device Not Recognized" alert with yellow warning triangle.

Suggestions Pls.:confused:

TT740 Not Recognized

Got a wild hair and dug out a USB to TT charging cable (Real TomTom # 4CF0.000.04) I had picked up with selection of world power travel plugs and connected it to my usb port and the TT.

SUCCESS. On that accessory cable, all works great.

But, when I put the TT back in the charging cradle computer doesn't recognize it.

Leads me to believe I have a failed charging dock. How good is TT for warranty issues?

TT is very quick with warranty issues, usually they ship same day as they receive defective units. No user posts on how they handle defective accessories, but I assume it's the same.

Try plugging a standard computer USB cord into the 740's car dock. That should definitively tell you if it's the desktop dock or not.

Also, try the desktop dock plugged directly into the computer. Sometimes TT's don't work well behind USB hubs.

TT740 Device Not Seen

TT is very quick with warranty issues, usually they ship same day as they receive defective units. No user posts on how they handle defective accessories, but I assume it's the same.

Try plugging a standard computer USB cord into the 740's car dock. That should definitively tell you if it's the desktop dock or not.

Also, try the desktop dock plugged directly into the computer. Sometimes TT's don't work well behind USB hubs.

Didn't even think about the car dock. :eek:

I had read about the usb hub issue several times in this forum, in their user guide, and elsewhere, but I thought that was just because hubs, etc., did not necessarily provide powered USB ports. Thought it was a charging issue. So just to make sure I went to great pains to pull out my computer workstation and snake the TT desk unit cable through cable openings an connect to the back of my computer.

Took a while to find an USB cable with mini usb at end, but it too works like a dream. Tried again the home dock, no joy.

Left CS two emails, one on this failure and one wrt your earlier suggestion about the inability to operate the TT from TT home.

Thanks for all the help.:D

Left CS two emails, one on this failure and one wrt your earlier suggestion about the inability to operate the TT from TT home.

Email support is slow and often you get a robot reply with FAQs. I'd suggest calling them when they open on Tuesday for the dock replacement, much much quicker.

I did indeed receive Robot reply on Sunday, but this AM actual live email reply from person even though 5/31 was Memorial Day Holiday. Sent back more info including fact that I took the dock into work and tried on office computer, to exactly same failure. I expect RMA soon. Not unhappy at all with their response.

Chuck

Yes, when I meant "slow" I meant it could take days to clear up an issue.

Over the phone, the RMA gets started within 20 minutes.

Yes, when I meant "slow" I meant it could take days to clear up an issue.

Over the phone, the RMA gets started within 20 minutes.

Called TT CS this AM and for a while I thought I was going to be on hold for as long as I was waiting for a reply to my email :D

Anyway, the fellow I spoke to was able to view all my input, cy of sales receipt, etc., and I took opportunity to ask two other questions (see below) He then transferred me to another section to actually arrange for a replacement home dock. After a couple of more minutes on hold, reached another live person and have new home dock on its way to me, I don't even have to send in the defective one.:D

So good success there, but mixxed success for the following additional questions asked.

1. The issue about not being able to access GO from TT Home that I have talked about separately. Answer = they are well aware and is a software issue that is being worked. So answer is non-answer:p

2. How does one adjust GO740Live volume of received call while in hands free operation via blue tooth connection? In response, I found out an interesting thing. :( First some background.

Two years ago as my wife and I planned a cruise leaving round trip from Dover, England and then to spend 2 additional weeks touring England and Scotland, I purchased a quad-band GSM Samsung "World" Phone SGH-G600 via the UK EBAY site.

On the UK TomTom site even today, that phone is identified as working with the TTGO740Live phone and phone book only -- no data services -- BUT since it was never imported to the US nor sold by either ATT or TMobile, neither carrier supports the phone officially. Trust me, it works great as a phone on ATT and has from the day I bought it. On the TT US Site when you look to ID compatible phones, you only find those technically recognized/supported by the US Carriers. My phone of couse is not listed.

So, I received the typical answer from the TT CS rep, they only have information wrt those phones the US carriers ID as recgonize and support in the USA. So he had no idea how it could be done. Even going onto the TT US website and inputting the question, I can find no answer.:(

BUT, go the TT UK site and you can find the following : while you are in a hands free conversation, tap the lower left corner of the screen (same spot you tap to adjust overall volume settings) and you can make adjustments using the touch screen slider that ONLY AFFECT VOLUME OF HANDS FREE CALLS.

Appears to work. Moved that volume to 95% and when went back to check regular volume it remained at original factory setting of 70%. :D

We'll see what happens next time I get a call while in hands free mode.

BUT, go the TT UK site and you can find the following : while you are in a hands free conversation, tap the lower left corner of the screen (same spot you tap to adjust overall volume settings) and you can make adjustments using the touch screen slider that ONLY AFFECT VOLUME OF HANDS FREE CALLS

Yep...that procedure has been discussed here frequently. Certainly, isn't obvious, is it?

Yep...that procedure has been discussed here frequently. Certainly, isn't obvious, is it?

Yep, not even in the manual. Of course I haven't been on the group long so I didn't think to check here first.:eek:

Was a little disappointed to get an "I know nothing" answer from CS -- as if the rest of the world doesn't exist and nobody travels -- when the answer is easily found on the UK site.

Ask a Question