Suction Cup Not Sticking To Windshield

I have the suction cup that came with the TomTom One and it keeps falling off of the windshield. Seems like the suction cup is not keeping suction with the windshield. How can I fix this problem? Thanks in advance for any advice.

The supplied mounts are crap, to be brutal about it. I got a much better one off Ebay, at a fraction of the cost of the better TomTom one. It's alot better, although due to it's length it can wobble a bit. Easily fixed by having the unit braced against the dash by mounting it lower on the screen. Long enough to be easily acessible too. A worthy investment.

I find I get much better results with the suction cup by making sure that the windshield is very clean. I then press the suction cup on the windshield on its own, then attach the GPS. Still, it does seem to fall occasionally but not nearly as much as when I first got it.

Has we really come to people asking how to attach the suction cup to the windshield?
I'm not say I'm just sayin!

TT was sending out new windshield mounts about a year ago. They found that some of them were defective. Actually most were defective beacuase the unit would lose contact with the base. My first mount kept drooping. I went on line with TT and recieved a new mount(TT510) and it has been problem freem. One problem is that if you leave the mount attached to the windshield, the ultraviolet rays of the sun will dry out the rubber from which the suction cup is made. It will develop tiny hairline splits. If this is not your case, make sure that both the glass and the cup are clean. It does not take much dirt or oil for there to be problems. Also mke sure that you turn the locking ring completely-if your mount has one.

One trick to get the suction cup to work is put some water on the suction cup. Not too much though. And than put it on the windshield.

But I rather go and buy a mount that goes on the dashboard instead of the window.

There are a few states that don't allow mounting anything on the windshield.

- Give the cup a good, wet lick before sticking it on

- If you have big temp differences during the day, stick the cup on when the windshield is at its warmest

- press hard all around the base of the cup

If I follow these rules, my TT cup never comes off the windshield.

I simply place mine in the beverage holder. I listen to it and I only need to glance at it occasionally. The advantage here is that there is no sign to a potential thief (no tell tale marks on the windshield and no mount) that a GPs device has ever been used in the car. :)

I bought a Bracketron UFM-100BL about 4 months ago. I mounted my TomTom to it as soon as I got it, and it hasn't come off since then. It never stayed on my windhsield for more than 30 minutes at a time.

However, I got so adept at catching it when it fell that I felt like a ninja. So its not all bad.

I've never had a problem with the suction cup but after a few months I noticed on warm days the device starts to change angle (down) as I drive and I have to keep readjusting it back up.

I have now purchased a diffrent mount but have not tried it yet.

Check for a hair-line crack in the cup.

I have the suction cup that came with the TomTom One and it keeps falling off of the windshield. Seems like the suction cup is not keeping suction with the windshield. How can I fix this problem? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I discovered that I had a very fine crack in the suction cup...through and through. It was very small, but it did allow the suction to break down. TomTom replaced it without question, or hesitation. My guess is they know that some percentage of that part is defective...from the factory, and/or as a result of some typical flexing by the end-user. If you can spot a fracture, I'm pretty sure they will send a free replacement.

Last edited:
I have the exact same issue (dropping;not sticking). I also hate how the TT bobbles back & forth like a float out at sea. thankfully thru searching, someone mentioned ebay.

I see a garmin-like mount I will try out.

Radio Shack has the Brackton (I think that's the name) navmats on sale again at $19.99. Be aware that their house brand is also on sale for the same price. It isn't as good.

Suction does not work

This is ridiculous. I almost got into a car accident because the suction cup does not stick for a long period of time to my windshield. I can?t believe that in 2009 Tomtom has not invented a better suction cup. My friends have Garmin and they do not have this problem. I like my Tomtom, but I hate that it keeps falling from the windshield because the suction does not work properly.

What model do you have? Remember to clean both the windshield and the suction cup properly. Use pressure to mount the suction cup as if you were squuezing out all the air because that is what you are trying to do. Mount the suction cup BEFORE attaching the unit to the mount.

I've never had a problem with the suction cup but after a few months I noticed on warm days the device starts to change angle (down) as I drive and I have to keep readjusting it back up..

I never had a problem with the suction cup but I had exactly your problem. I was six months past warranty and TomTom flatly rejected to replace it. In this thread I explained what happened until I sent them a bit of a larger photo and explained a bit about injection moulding and they sent me a new one.

Suction doesn't work

This is truly a ridiciculous design flaw! (whether TomTom wants to acknowledge it or not) The suction cup of my new device will not stick to the windsheild! There is no reason they should have designed it to lick it first (TomTom tester)!

the best trick is get some isopropyl and rub it with a cotton ball on your windheiled where your putting the mount, then put it on the suction cup, not alot, and just before it is completely dry just stick it on there, it is like glue....but without the gluey aftereffects...my father in laws mount doesnt have a lock and he does this and it works awesomely

Ask a Question