Strange Symbol

TomTom Model(s)
IPhone App
Hello All;

I have an IPhone 4 and am using the TomTom GPS app.

In the bottom left hand corner I am getting a "ThunderBolt" symbol with a line through it (like when you mute the volume)

Called TomTom ... they have never seen this before and did not have a solution.

Has anyone heard/seen this before and knows how to remove it?

(all other apps work fine)

Thanks Mark

You would think that was it or not charging but my IPhone is/was at 100% (or so)
I did check a one thing though .... the symbol goes away when the IPhone is on charge in either on the computer or in the CarKit.
Going to try to reinstall the app and see if that changes anything ... then spending the morning re-adding my favourites

thanks Mark

That would seem to indicate it is the battery indicator. All tomtom handhelds function that way as well.

then spending the morning re-adding my favourites

Mark, probably too late for this advice on your current issue but worth bearing in mind for future:

Download "DiskAid" and install it to your PC, launch the DiskAid software and put it in to Advanced mode, shut down DiskAid to save the change.

Connect your iPhone to the PC and start up DiskAid, go to the applications folder/ America/ Documents/ America and copy the "mapsettings.cfg" file to your computer, when you reinstall the app in future simply use DiskAid to copy the "mapsettings.cfg" file back to the same location and all your favourites and any associated POI settings will be restored - Mike

Hi Mark,

Did reinstalling the app get rid of the 'Thunderbolt' symbol?

I too have this on my IPhone 4 but when the batteries low I get a 'battery' symbol with low power in place of the thunderbolt.

Cannot get an explanation off the manual from tomtom site either.

Thanks.

Lee

:confused:

When you plug the iPhone in to a power source the lightning bolt disapears, this is intentional. You really need to have the iPhone running on external power rather than relying upon the battery when using any GPS based navigation app as they hammer the battery, typically one hour of use on the battery will flatten a fully charged iPhone unless you have external power applied to the device - Mike

Yes, when present you are running on battery.
I am reading about the work arounds for saving settings and favorites when upgrading. Yes a few upgrades ago I did loose my favorites. However the last one I did not. I am running 1.6.1 on a iPhone 4. Is this a problem on the East side of the pond only?

Yes a few upgrades ago I did loose my favorites. However the last one I did not. I am running 1.6.1 on a iPhone 4. Is this a problem on the East side of the pond only?
I think this issue is caused when users delete the old app before installing the new version, the installation of a new app can require quite a large amount of storage space so users sometimes delete the old app rather than remove some music etc. Once the old app is zapped all the favourites and any POI settings held within the mapsettings.cfg file will be toast, net result loss of Favourites etc.

Leave the old app in place and let iTunes sort things out and you shouldn't lose any settings - Mike

Sorry for the late response Lee
Funny how work gets in the way :)

I think the other folks have solved my problem correctly.
The Thunderbolt goes away when the IPhone is on charge. When it is on battery ... it is there.

Thanks for all the input ... learned something today

Mark

Ask a Question