Still Having Mapshare Poblems

TomTom Model(s)
XL 325
I have an XL 325 with map 830. Are either of these simply to old to receive Mapshare updates? I've read all the posts I can find about it but nothing helps. I suppose I should just buy another map but for a college student $50 is a lot of money to spend on something like that. If I can get shared updates that would be nice. What can I do?

Welcome to TTF.

Supposedly, mapshare updates are good for one year after the release of the map though TT seems not to be that stringent with the year limitation.

That said, the 830 map is closer to two years old so maybe that's why not are offered when you update your unit.

I have one old 720 with no subscription that is still getting W.Europe MapShare updates against an 815 map!

Is that why it tells me "Your map has not been updated for more than 20 weeks Unfortunately Map Share map corrections are temporarily not available." ? If the map is too old for mapshare then they should have a message about that instead. Oh btw, I have the United States map if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
FWIW, map 860 was "current" when I received my unit as a present this past Christmas. Mapshare didn't work then, resulting in the "Your map hasn't been updated in XXX .. " message. This was fixed, apparently, with the 865 map several months ago, as it now updates routinely, or at least says it is doing so as it goes through the motions (how would I know the difference?).

Supposedly, mapshare updates are good for one year after the release of the map though TT seems not to be that stringent with the year limitation.

That said, the 830 map is closer to two years old so maybe that's why not are offered when you update your unit.

According to TomTom...
For each map, we generate and update a database of map corrections for up to one year. After one year, this database will no longer be updated with new map corrections, but can still be downloaded by anyone using that map version.

So Tigger_lilly89 SHOULD have been getting them, just not new ones.

Tigger_lilly89 - Are you saying you NEVER got any corrections?
Did you actually JOIN MapShare? - You have to do that in TT Home's tools menu.

Are you using Home v2.8?

Finally, have you looked on the storage of the Tomtom and seen if there are three files called
ServerNameIndex.dat, ServerLineIndex.dat and MapServerPatch.dat?

Andy, read the quote you provided again.......

My interpretation is that, after one year, TomTom will stop updating mapshares for release map 8XX but the user can still download THOSE mapshares for as long as they have the map.

In other words, if it is now one year since you've had whatever map and have been updating mapshares all through the year, there will not be any new mapshares to download.

If, on the other hand, you've never downloaded mapshares for version 8XX and it's two years after release, you should be offered the mapshares BUT they will be one year old.

Atl least, that's how I read the policy..........

Sorry dhn, I can't have been clear.. when I said "So Tigger_lilly89 SHOULD have been getting them, just not new ones."
I completely agree with your interpretation. :thumb:

I couldn't be sure from the OP's posts whether he had EVER had any MapShare downloads. If not, then the "year's-worth" should be available.

Dunno what to tell you guys. TomTom may not have promised anything out beyond a year, but they certainly do deliver longer than that - at least for W.E. I've had various subscriptions for N.A., so can't say that it's treated the same.

I hadn't updated my oldest 720 for a month or so, so just plugged it in, and got yet more MapShare updates against my antique Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB map. Antique = 710! That's over 3 years old now.

That map now has an astounding 6.474MB MapServerPatch.dat file (that's where the updates are added each time)!

My 3 1/2 year-old TT 3rd edition is still getting map share updates... and that's on the 7.10 map.

I thought they were updating for much longer than a year too, but didn't want to cloud the situation too much :cool:

Point remains... has the OP ever got them or not?

Ask a Question