Starting in the middle of an itinerary

TomTom Model(s)
One 3rd Edition
Before purchasing my TT One 3rd Ed. (with Custom Menus that give me the Itinerary features), I used an **old** Garmin III+ GPS. For that unit, I created Routes (what TomTom calls an Itineraries) using Garmin's Mapsource software. For the TomTom, I use Tyre to create Itineraries.

With the old Garmin, if I started following a Route from a point in the middle of trip, the Garmin was smart enough to disregard all points earlier in the route, and would start navigating me to the next logical waypoint.

As far as I can see, the TomTom is too stupid or stubborn to do this. If I'm at a mid-point along the trip when I start following an Itinerary, the TomTom works very hard at bringing me back to the starting point.

How can I tell the One that I want it to start me in the middle of an Itinerary, without bringing me all the way back to the first waypoint? :confused:

Thanks,

Before purchasing my TT One 3rd Ed. (with Custom Menus that give me the Itinerary features), I used an **old** Garmin III+ GPS. For that unit, I created Routes (what TomTom calls an Itineraries) using Garmin's Mapsource software. For the TomTom, I use Tyre to create Itineraries.

With the old Garmin, if I started following a Route from a point in the middle of trip, the Garmin was smart enough to disregard all points earlier in the route, and would start navigating me to the next logical waypoint.

As far as I can see, the TomTom is too stupid or stubborn to do this. If I'm at a mid-point along the trip when I start following an Itinerary, the TomTom works very hard at bringing me back to the starting point.

How can I tell the One that I want it to start me in the middle of an Itinerary, without bringing me all the way back to the first waypoint? :confused:

Thanks,

I don't have mine with me, but if I recall, you need to mark the prior waypoints as 'visited'.

Rick

Ya the Itinerarie feature can be a bit tricky if you add a lot of waypoints along the route. With experience I have learn a few tips that can make life a little easier.

One of the things I have learned is that you should never make your first waypoint at the hotel you are departing from but better to mark the first freeway you will be taking once you depart from your hotel. Reason being is that often we would driive a mile or two away from the hotel to have breakfast. After breakfast you go ahead and load that days Itinerarie and if you happen to be closer to the freeway than your hotel is, the TT will navigate you back to your hotel first and continue from there which may cost you time for nothing.

This is my second LONG trip with TT Itineraries in two years and I am still learning new things as I go along. The best way to master Itineraries is to get out there and enjoy the open road :) .

Help Please

SAB.. thanks for sharing your Itinerary tips... these were already very helpful. Do you have any more? Anyone with any others also welcomed.
I've just started playing with an XL330S and was getting frustrated with the Itinerary function.. I had the departing location on as the first Waypoint.
I'm planning a Florida trip and want to avoid Boston and Washington by staying on 81 south and heading over to 95 south just north of Richmond Va.
Is it better/necessary to have the "route forcing Waypoints" set as Destinations or just waypoints. If I get this thing working accurately and reliably .. I may be able to sleep while my wife drives!! ;)

SAB.. thanks for sharing your Itinerary tips... these were already very helpful. Do you have any more? Anyone with any others also welcomed.
I've just started playing with an XL330S and was getting frustrated with the Itinerary function.. I had the departing location on as the first Waypoint.
I'm planning a Florida trip and want to avoid Boston and Washington by staying on 81 south and heading over to 95 south just north of Richmond Va.
Is it better/necessary to have the "route forcing Waypoints" set as Destinations or just waypoints. If I get this thing working accurately and reliably .. I may be able to sleep while my wife drives!! ;)

I would only mark a waypoint as a Destination if you are actually going to stop at that point and stay for any long duration of time....otherwise, I would just mark the waypoints as 'waypoint'.

Another point I would make is make sure the name of the waypoint is logical enough that if you needed to look at the itinerary in TEXT form (i.e. the list of waypoints) that you will know quickly where that waypoint is.....For example, I had a scenario that for some reason one of the waypoints I had already visited was not 'marked' as visited automatically by the TomTom...it should have been, but it didnt.....I didn't realize this until I got to the next exit and the TomTom was directing me to head back towards the direction I came....when I pulled up the Itinerary screen, I saw that my previous waypoint was not marked as visitied....the waypoint name I had was "I90_and_rte8" and I knew I already passed that point, so I just marked that waypoint as 'visited' and the TomTom properly recalculated and I was on my way.

I am planning on doing much the same route for part of it in a few weeks.

I will be catching thre 81 at Scranton,PA South as far as Winchester and then going down to 95 at FredricksBurg PA taking the 295 around Richmond and south from there.
I go to the Panhandle so I start heading S/W at Savana, GA.
What I do is plan my trip with Google Maps then copy the link to this program and saving it to my TomTom.
http://www.houghi.org/tomtom/

After I have it in my unit I load it and then view rout browse as image to make sure it is taking me where I want to go.

Last edited:

Glad I can help.

I did that Florida trip last year from Montreal. I also stayed on the 81 South to the 95.

I placed waypoints along that highway and remember to zoom in close when using Tyre and place the waypoint on the right side of the highway (I've messed that up before :) ). I place a few extra waypoints on the exits where I intend to change highway just to be sure because Tomtom may get you to the next highway using a diffrent exit.

Have a GREAT trip !!!!!!!

Ask a Question