Start up sound

TomTom Model(s)
XL
I've successfully changed the startup screen and shut down image but I'm having trouble getting the sounds to work. I followed the instructions listed below and it doesnt work. Any ideas?

Thanks

Creating a start-up sound

1. Record your sound in 22050 Hz Mono, with a sample size of 16-bit, using your preferred sound recording or editing software.

Tip: Your sound should be limited to a maximum of 3 seconds in length.

2. Save your sound as an OGG Vorbis file called splash.ogg. There are many free conversion tools online that you can use to convert .WAV and .MP3 files to this format, for example, Audacity.

3. Copy the file to the sounds folder on your TomTom navigation device.

The new sound replaces the sound that was currently installed.

Other than a reset of your unit, I'm not sure what to suggest. You are sure the file went into the proper voices folder and was created properly?

One other thought.....if your unit is 4.3" (not 3.5"), try renaming the file to splasw.ogg (I'm grasping at straws....)

Last edited:
And I would check to make sure that the file names are all lowercase letters. For exampe, some websites will see a difference between "index.JPG" and "index.jpg". Windows Explorer is usually set to hide the extension for known file types, so you can't easily see the differences unless you change that setting in windows explorer!

Ask a Question