Start up for a Via

Despite being warned, I purchased a Via 1535TM. I've read countless posts about trying to update these things and having the updates fail, leading to long conversations with TTS. I haven't seen anybody write about how much fun they had talking to TTS, so I would like to avoid the experience. Is there any information posted about exactly how to update these devices? All I've determined so far is it won't work with Windows 7 64bit OS or 64 bit browsers. Any help would be appreciated.

Some have gotten the 64 bit browser to work. Others find the IE 8 32 bit works. IE9 seems problematic.

Nobody seems to have gotten the Latest Map Guarantee to work on Vias if I remeber correctly.

Keep this number: 866-486-6866. It's for Customer Support. You'll be needing it, sadly.

Thanks, I'll plug the number into my phone. I love a challenge. Plus I have time to return this if it is truly bad.

I've had the privledge of speaking to CS 3 times in reference to my 1535.

I'm so luck to have an error they have never seen before.

2011-07-18 11:16:14.233|33554532|Error|SupporterManager::eek:nStatus|PND reports installation failed: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><jobprogress xmlns="http://www.tomtom.com/ns/device/1.0" deviceid="<serial number>" progress="0" state="error" eta="0" />

I was trying to install map 870. The unit has 865. The first CS had me clear the TomTom cache on my computer, which, of course, deletes the 2.6GB map I downloaded. She would not continue the troublshooting process unless I cleared it. She said "that's ok" you have the lastest map anyway. What!?! I told her the unot showed map 865 and the download was 870. You could hear the crickets churping.

After which I asked her if she was going to stay on the phone with me for another 3 hours while I downloaded the map again. Boy was she surprised. I called the next day and an other female CS from the Near East and she wanted me to do the same thing. I refused. She troubleshot it and said my device needed to be replaced and was going to send another to me. I was placed on hold, when she came back she told me my problem was going to be sent to the next support level.

I got a call from them to call, so I called back this afternoon and got a perosn from Mexico (we getting closer to the US!). He send me an e-mail with the RMA info. I have to send it to them before they replace it. No problem. Then 2 minutes later I get an e-mail saying they have sent me a new replacement. No tracking number of course.

I have 2 weeks to return this unit to the store I bought it. I am on the fence if I should return it and get another one. Or just pass on it. The last CS I spoke to said they are having many many problem with the VIAs and the GOs.

The many of the CS folks are doing nothing but running checklists and have no idea how the unit works.

I have no problems downloading the map from TomTom. It was resident on my computer. The problem was the unit would not update. The MyTomTom program worked and I'm running IE9 (32bit) with the lastest updates.

..... long conversations with TTS. I haven't seen anybody write about how much fun they had talking to TTS...

Talking to the 'Text to Speech' engine on a TomTom is not going to get you far...:D

Try Customer Services instead :thumb:

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Well I hooked up the 1535 to my laptop with Windows 7 32 bit and IE 8 32 bit. It connected and told me there was a software and map up date. It down loaded everything and installed the software update. When it got to the map install, It goes for a while and gives me the "lost connection with the server" thing. And a black back round and no map. I tried several times and kept getting the something. I was thinking about calling customer dis-service, but decided to try from a different computer. I moved to my desktop, Windows XP Pro SP2 and IE 8 (all 32 bit) and the map installed. I'm thinking there might be a Windows 7 issue. I do know the TomTom software is really bad about informing the user about what is happening.

Talking to the 'Text to Speech' engine on a TomTom is not going to get you far...:D

Actualy, the text to speech engine on the 1535 told me to get a Garmin! :eek:

Nope - I think it's you who missed that one, Andy! Customer Service IS "text to speech" -- they just read from the company-provided scripts and pray something works. I think the OP meant exactly what he typed (and made a pretty darned good funny doing it!)

Ask a Question