Start 25 Europe downloading?

TomTom Model(s)
Start 25 Europe
I connected my machine to the PC to charge it up this morning, left it and came back a while later to find a 'new' icon in the system tray which told me I was connected.

As the machine had not been moved for some time it suddenly turned itself off. I then had a slap on the wrist when a message came up - COMMUNICATION FAILURE.

I turned the machine on again and the icon box said it was connecting. after some minutes it said it was busy and PLEASE KEEP YOUR DEVICE CONNECTED.

It has now been connected for over two hours and I'm fed up with popping into the office to jiggle the device to stop it from turning off.

Question 1; What is it downloading, if anything 'cos nothing shows on my NetMeter?

Q2; Can I change a setting to not turn off by itself?

Mike

PS; I've just checked the connection status box and it is definitely not downloading so what is going on? When I connected to My TomTom the first time when I bought the device and the updated map downloaded it showed in NetMeter with no problems.

Three hours now and I'm losing patience! MyTomTom tells me that my device is up to date so perhaps it is just charging?

Three and half hours - device turned itself off and dialog box says 'installation interrupted' turned device back on now have 'busy' 'keep your TomTom device connected'. Grrhh!!

Last edited:
What model do you have? Have you tried resetting the unit by holding the power button about 10 seconds till you hear the drum roll? Have you tried clearing the cache on the desktop icon?

It's a Start 25 (it's in the title).

Mike, I'm afraid this is a rather common problem with these new models that use the MyTomTom interface.
Not only does it give you very few clues as to what is going on, but if they decide a download (or upload!) has been disrupted they get their knickers in a twist.
Often it is only cured by ANOTHER download being triggered a few days later.

As dhn says, one thing you can try (as well as the reset) is to clear the MyTomTom cache on the PC (click the icon next to the PC clock, select "settings" then on the "Cache" tab there is a button to "empty the cache".

No promises, but it might help.

Andy,

It is certainly confusing. I deleted the cache but then had to go out and switched everything off.

When I reconnected the box on the system tray told me there are updates to download. I connected to MyTomTom but that said my machine is up to date and there are no updates :confused:

Perhaps I should wait until something seems amiss before fiddling with it anymore.

I have asked the question on my other post - about fixings - how can I check the date of the map on my device?

Mike

I have asked the question on my other post - about fixings - how can I check the date of the map on my device?

Mike

Been answered there quicker than me!

Settings -> Version information

:)

Ask a Question