start 20 - pc not detecting it

TomTom Model(s)
start 20
I have just purchased a start 20 and downloaded the software from tomtom for my free map update but it will not detect my device,any help would be grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
You must use MyTomTom (get it at tomtom.com/getstarted) not Home 2 with that device.

Your computer will not show the Start 20 as a removable device, just a network connection.

If you HAVE installed MyTomTom, connected the unit to the computer and the web page shows the unit as not connected, then try this:
1. Reboot the unit by holding the power button about 10 seconds till the drum sounds and connect to the computer again.

2. If that doesn't work, then disconnect the unit from the computer and reconnect while the web page My TomTom is on screen.

3. If that doesn't work, connect the unit to the computer while the unit is turned off, THEN turn it on and see if a MyTomTom web page opens in the browser showing the unit as connected.

As this is an old thread I hope I'm not hijacking it! Gordon seems to be satisfied as he didn't get back.

I have just paid for and downloaded the latest Europe map for my Start 25. When the download finished the connection turned off and the Overview page on the website told me that items are available for download but now I can't get reconnected. This seems to be the connection between my device and my computer not the internet.

I've tried all the tricks to get reconnected to do the install but no joy. Any ideas, please?

As the download took nearly 7 hours I'm loath to lose the data so can I turn my computer off? In fact, as its very late I will have to turn the machine off and I won't get back on it until Tuesday. Today is Sunday evening. Please share my confusion :confused:

After succeeding in making a connection and downloading the Europe map - see my other posting about not ceonnecting my Start 25 - it seems I must be doing something really stupid.

dhn I tried your suggestion to reboot the device but it made no difference. I thought originally that my problem was connecting to MyTomTom but obviously the problem is actually connecting my device to my computer - doh :rolleyes:

I have turned off the firewalls, rebooted the device, am using the USB connection on the back of the computer. I know it will be something simple as I've got the connection before but I can't fathom what I did differently to make that happen.

By the way, is the downloaded map lurking on my machine somewhere? Not knowing what the map file will be called I did a search for a file created last Saturday but found nothing - not that that makes much difference but I would be devastated if had to go through the process and time downloading the map again, always assuming I could connect the computer to the device :confused:.

If you go to My Computer-->Network Devices-->you should see your unit listed. If you right click the one saying Start 20, do you have an option to 'enable'?

Sorry but I missed the 'edit' time limit to correct my previous post due to 'things happening' :rant:

Here is the updated post which I hope is self explanatory;

dhn, thanks for that but in the meantime I remembered the advice to empty the cache and immediately got a connection BUT MyTomTom is downloading the map all over again! It tells me I have 6 hours and 30 minutes for the download to finish! Presumably by emptying the cache I deleted the previous map file.

I had hoped the map would reside in my computer so I could install it later but I didn't realise it would be in the TomTom cache - indeed the following morning the MyTomTom icon in the system tray told me to connect because 'there are items waiting to be installed' but I couldn't connect until I emptied the cache :confused:.

So, do I have to wait until the map has downloaded again? But how do I avoidl the same thing will occurring when the download is finished ie. without any action by me, it disconnects my device and then will not allow me to connect to install it until I empty the cache - which presumably contains the map file - then make me download the map again because I have deleted the file in the cache :(? ad infinitum rather like the ouslam bird. Sorry to sound facetious but it is so frustrating.

Help!

PS; I've just found your post about Network devices and yes it shows a 'local connection, firewalled, TomTom' which is disabled. If I enable it what does that do and how does it affect the current download being performed via my wifi connection? Complicated n'est pas?

I appreciate the frustration. Make sure your power savings setting for the computer hard drive is set to always stay on.

If you go to My Computer-->Network Devices-->you should see your unit listed.

On my WinXP machine you don't get to see any network devices listed directly in MyComputer.

The only thing network-related there is "My Network Places" which just lists shared network drives.

But from that screen, so long as you don't have "Folders" showing on the left, there's a link in "Network tasks" in the left-hand panel to "View Network Connections" and that DOES show a connected TomTom under the "LAN or High Speed Internet" heading.

Right-clicking on that gets you to the "enable/disable" option.

I've just been through this with TomTom support. To find whether you have the Network adapter installed, try this in XP;

Click START, then 'My Computer' (upper right box)
Click 'View system information'
Click 'Hardware' tab
Click 'Device Manager' then click 'Network adapters'
There should be a green icon with TOMTOM against it.
Double click on this and it should tell you if the thing is working or not.

No its not me being clever and can't help with W7 'cos its all gibberish.:confused:

And I thought I should let you know that my connection problem has been resolved.

A chat with TomTom support did not really help, except to suggest that I try another computer and a faster broadband connection. Voila, I was able to connect using my wife's laptop but needed to re-download the map which wasn't viable as she needed to use the machine and couldn't wait the 7 hours it takes to download.

I wondered what the difference was between her laptop and my PC and realised that it could be that I had antivirus, antiphishing, anti adware, spyware etc enabled even after turning the firewall off.

Eureka! As soon as I switched all the security on my PC off, the machine connected immediately to the TOMTOM server and I had the map installed in about an hour with no involvement from me.

Many thanks guys for you advice - perhaps this might help others who have strict security on their PC's.

Well done. :thumb:
Now the fun and games starts, trying to work out how to put all the security back on, but still allow the TomTom to get connected!

Ask a Question