Start 20 loses set route overnight

TomTom Model(s)
Start 20
Hi,

I have not had my Tomtom Start very long so may be I am asking a dumb question !

I set in a route OK, and navigate part of that route. I then stop en-route (sometimes overnight) so I remove my Start 20 from the car and switch it off with a short 2 second press of the on/off button. The following morning I switch on with a short 2 second press. When the Start 20 comes on the route I was following has been removed and the device says "No Route Planned" - this is annoying !

Is there any way I can set my device to keep the route planned until I clear it, or I set a new one ?

Can you also tell me the difference in time between a normal off/on button press and a "Full Reset" on/off button press?

Alan.

Not a dumb question at all, but you can blame TomTom for another so-called "improvement"

TomToms always used to remember the route overnight, and older models still do, but some bright spark thought up this new feature and somehow managed to convince his peers that it was a good idea.

Nothing you can do except complain to TomTom.
If enough of us do, they are perfectly capable of changing it back to how it used to be.

--------------

A normal press of the on/off button just puts the device to sleep. Almost exactly the same as "suspend" on a PC.

A 20-second press on the power button, performs a re-boot (TomTom call it a "soft reset") so the operating program is re-started from scratch.
None of your personal settings should be lost after that soer of reset.

There's also a "Return to factor settings" in the menus (TT also call this a "hard reset" sometimes). Although this DOES delete a lot of your settings, it's actually a very long way from putting it back as it would be out of the factory (for example your POI files will still be on there).

Some time ago I tried to produce a list of what did or didn't get re-set in a Return to Factory Settings. It's here if anyone is interested, but I don't know if it's still up-to-date.

I set in a route OK, and navigate part of that route. I then stop en-route (sometimes overnight) so I remove my Start 20 from the car and switch it off with a short 2 second press of the on/off button. The following morning I switch on with a short 2 second press. When the Start 20 comes on the route I was following has been removed and the device says "No Route Planned" - this is annoying !
As Andy says, you can't 'fix' the exact problem you are reporting. In any case, the actual route that had been planned the day before may no longer be valid due to differences in traffic and road speeds when you continue your journey. What's annoying is that it forgets your destination, too, rather than doing as the old units did and recomputing a new route to get there if need be.

The good news is that you can "Navigate to" (or "Drive to", depending up the model's menu) "Recent destination", and the top of the list should be the last place you were headed. At least that avoids having to enter the destination information over again.

A normal press of the on/off button just puts the device to sleep. Almost exactly the same as "suspend" on a PC.

A 20-second press on the power button, performs a re-boot (TomTom call it a "soft reset") so the operating program is re-started from scratch.
None of your personal settings should be lost after that soer of reset.

There's also a "Return to factory settings" in the menus (TT also call this a "hard reset" sometimes). Although this DOES delete a lot of your settings, it's actually a very long way from putting it back as it would be out of the factory (for example your POI files will still be on there).
To pick a minor nit for the benefit of others who may read this later, that 20-second press of the power button to reboot is an approximate value, not something that you do by checking the time against a watch. The way that you know you have held the button long enough is that you get a "drum-beat" sound and the "TomTom" logo appears on one side of the black screen. As soon as you hear the "drum-beat", release the power button and let the device go through its reboot.

Also, the older devices did not use the power button for this purpose. Instead, they have a small hole into which you gently insert a paperclip or similar object to initiate the reboot.

- Tom -

I would have mentioned the reset button if I was talking generally about resetting, but in this case I was specifically referring to the OP's Start 20 which does not have one.

I would have mentioned the reset button if I was talking generally about resetting, but in this case I was specifically referring to the OP's Start 20 which does not have one.
The reason that I added the info about the reset button is that I have a vivid memory of when I first got a GPS and did not know that there were fundamental differences in how different models worked. I would read older posts on various forums, and attempt to figure out why my device behaved differently than was being described.

The people involved in the original thread knew that they were dealing only with a specific model, but I was coming in to the subject with zero background and did not realize that at first.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Ask a Question