St. is Saint? and Dr. is Doctor?

It's a flaw in the dictionary file (lex file) used by the voices implemented.

Use Explorer to look at the contents of your unit. If you see a folder called Vocalizer you may be able to change what is being hear by the use of a voice editor developed by a member, turboccc. Go here for the thread and link to the tool.

NOTE: If you have a Loquendo folder, tool will not work.

another problem

I email tomtom another problem when you approach an exit sometimes it says the plural of the exit instead of South. It always happens. So far I sent tom tom 4 emails about this problem over a year and a half. Still no solution. Maybe if other send tom tom this problem they will listen. Thanks.

I email tomtom another problem when you approach an exit sometimes it says the plural of the exit instead of South. It always happens. So far I sent tom tom 4 emails about this problem over a year and a half. Still no solution. Maybe if other send tom tom this problem they will listen. Thanks.
You should call their tech support number (in the USA it's: 866-486-6866). They will open a problem report, which may not resolve anything, but it documents the error within their system.

IIRC, they regularly don't respond to email bug reports.

and Co is

I can almost understand Doctor and Saint. I can even understand why my cell phone with a default name of "WM_mmiller" (Windows Mobile) was pronounced "William m m i l l e r," but Co (County) sounds like "Coke". Figure that one out... I wonder if ppsi is Pepsi.

This has me curious. Is this corrected on newer speech Tomtom's? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem but does it say Saint or Doctor for EVERY turn thats a street or drive? I'm assuming I'm misunderstanding because that would mean there was new field testing what so ever...

Just got back from a trip to NY where the Triboro Br is a "branch", not a "bridge", highway 100C is "100 center" (sigh) ...

The problem is that someone has taken the time to record all of the text on the signage very carefully, but nobody back at Loquendo in Italy has taken the time to figure out (or even ask) what it all means. I understand the attempts to deal with the abbreviations, but they clearly do NOT use the first likely meaning based upon the fact that it's a road sign that's being read back.

Last edited:
Triboro Br is a "branch", not a "bridge", highway 100C is "100 center" (sigh) ...
If you look at your roadnrEnglishUS.lex file located in the Loquendo data folder you will see why this is happening

The problem is that someone has taken the time to record all of the text on the signage very carefully, but nobody back at Loquendo in Italy has taken the time to figure out (or even ask) what it all means.
I don't think that is the problem is with Loquendo because it is only saying what text TomTom is asking it to send.

To save space TomTom is parsing BR to Branch and BRG to Bridge (Official USPS Abbreviations)
Try changing the Road Name to Triboro Brg and it will now be Bridge

100C has a C in it and it get's parsed to Center also because of the your roadnrEnglishUS.lex file

C is not an Official USPS Abbreviation. TomTom Should be using CTR
To fix this we would need to know what Loqendo calls Control Tags to use so it will not parse the C to Center.
You can see Control Tags being used in the roadnrEnglishUS.lex file for example "aut" = "\f@-Oa:-th-Oa:-Hr-`u:-th"

That or you can Edit your roadnrEnglishUS.lex and change the mapping of Center.
"c" = "center" to "c" = "c"
This would change it for all Centers and now you would hear C for everything instead of Center.

Ask a Question