ssl protocol disabled

jbl

TomTom Model(s)
one
Hi all 1st post.

I recently purchased an update map of europe for my ONE. When installing I got a message saying my SD card was too small and I just loaded the UK. I have since purchased a 2GB card, but am now getting the error message ssl protocol disabled when trying to update the device. I also get the following message when booting Tom Tom Home. Could not initialize the application's security component. The most likely cause is problems with files in your application's profile directory. Please check that this directory has no read/write restrictions and your hard disk is not full or close to full. It is recommended that you exit the application and fix the problem. If you continue to use this session, you might see incorrect application behaviour when accessing security features.
My hard disk has plenty of space, I have tried deleting and re installing Home, but still get the same messages.
Any ideas???
Thanks

Are you able to run an SSL session on your preferred web browser? In other words, are you seeing "https" sessions running successfully when you attempt them? You'd see these for banking sites, check-out of online stores, etc.

Are you able to run an SSL session on your preferred web browser? In other words, are you seeing "https" sessions running successfully when you attempt them? You'd see these for banking sites, check-out of online stores, etc.

Hi yes I am able to log on to my bank seeing https

John

Standard reasons for the original message (Could not initialize the application's security component... etc etc) to occur:

Nearly out of disk space.
Permissions issues on the folder containing the certificate, or the certificate itself.
Corrupted certificate file.

So let's focus on Items 2 and 3 by checking on how well the deinstaller worked with Home, since it may not be deleting your profile to get rid of the certificate that is causing the problem.

AFTER running the deinstaller, navigate to the folder indicated below. You will need to enable viewing of "hidden files and folders". I don't know which version of Windows you are running, but in XP, that's done by selecting "Tools" and "Folder Options" and "View" from any open window, and selecting "Show hidden files and folders".

C:\Documents and Settings\{yourname]\Application Data\TomTom\HOME

In the HOME folder, you may still find a file called profiles.ini and a folder called Profiles. In that, you'd find a folder with a random jumble of characters like 1ub5xute.default. Inside THAT folder is the certificate, called cert8.db. That little file is the key to solving this, if it is there. IF it is there after running the uninstaller, just go ahead and delete the entire "TomTom" folder from inside the C:\Documents and Settings\{yourname}\Application Data folder.

That will kill the certificate for TomTom Home and THEN you can reinstall Home again from scratch. The most recent version of Home can be found here: http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/home2latest/TomTomHOME2winlatest.exe

I doubt the key is less than 1024. Everyone's machine would be griping!

Standard reasons for the original message (Could not initialize the application's security component... etc etc) to occur:

Nearly out of disk space.
Permissions issues on the folder containing the certificate, or the certificate itself.
Corrupted certificate file.

So let's focus on Items 2 and 3 by checking on how well the deinstaller worked with Home, since it may not be deleting your profile to get rid of the certificate that is causing the problem.

AFTER running the deinstaller, navigate to the folder indicated below. You will need to enable viewing of "hidden files and folders". I don't know which version of Windows you are running, but in XP, that's done by selecting "Tools" and "Folder Options" and "View" from any open window, and selecting "Show hidden files and folders".

C:\Documents and Settings\{yourname]\Application Data\TomTom\HOME

In the HOME folder, you may still find a file called profiles.ini and a folder called Profiles. In that, you'd find a folder with a random jumble of characters like 1ub5xute.default. Inside THAT folder is the certificate, called cert8.db. That little file is the key to solving this, if it is there. IF it is there after running the uninstaller, just go ahead and delete the entire "TomTom" folder from inside the C:\Documents and Settings\{yourname}\Application Data folder.

That will kill the certificate for TomTom Home and THEN you can reinstall Home again from scratch. The most recent version of Home can be found here: http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/home2latest/TomTomHOME2winlatest.exe

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, your clear and precise instructions did the trick and I have been able to update on to a 2Gb card and fit all of western Europe which wouldn't fit onto the original tom tom card.

JBL

Good deal, jbl. These de-installer tools, while pretty good, can only remove what traces it can associate with an application, and it's not always possible for them to find everything.

Ask a Question