Spring Maps Download

TomTom Model(s)
XXL / 530S / 540S - 2GB (TomTom HOME)
Yesterday I used my "Latest Map Guarantee" to download the Spring Maps to my 2 week old XXL Europe 42. I selected Western Europe (as there is only room for this) and everything downloaded and installed to my device OK. When reconnecting, Tomtom Home said that my maps were over 20 weeks old and that there were over 11000 Mapshare items to add!
It listed the Western Europe again and Mapshare items and downloaded the lot successfully again.
Tomtom Home still said that my maps were over 20 weeks old etc again. I deselected the map and just added the Mapshare stuff and now it shows that my map is up-to-date!
Tomtom Home is still asking me to download the Western Europe maps! What should I do? What should the version of the latest maps be so that i can check? Help!
P.S. Unit is working fine but a friend mentioned that every time he has a map upgrade, he loses his Home settings etc - mine have not changed. Does this suggest that the maps have not been updated???

Tap the satellite bars on your unit. The next screen shows the application installed. Now, tap the version number and the following screen shows the map installed and its version.

It should say 865.

P.S. Unit is working fine but a friend mentioned that every time he has a map upgrade, he loses his Home settings etc - mine have not changed. Does this suggest that the maps have not been updated???
Your friend may be running a unit with a firmware version earlier than yours. Models running 8.XXX firmware and earlier had their "Favorites" blown away with map updates. The newer units do not.

Even the newer units with 9.XXX firmware will have their MapShare changes removed (if sent to TomTom) during a map update.

In all cases (even your friend's), there are ways to retain that information across map updates. Tell your friend to save a copy of his mapsettings.cfg file before doing a map update, and restoring it afterwards. He may need to modify something (add, edit, delete, whatever) in his favorites list using Home afterward to make it work. We got lots of threads here on the topic.

Hi! My map version is:
Europe_West v860.3101

Does this suggest that i haven't got the latest one? If so, what do you reccommend?

You got offered and downloaded the old version (860) instead of the new one (865). Unfortunately, the Latest Map guarantee servers at TomTom lag behind the 'normal' servers by a few days.

I would call customer support at 0845 161 0009 and explain the situation. You do NOT want the LMG to consider you've already had your one-kick-at-the-can by installing a map you probably already had.

What you DO want to do is make sure CS adds the 865 Europe_West to your account (or the opportunity to get any other Europe 865 zone).

DHN,

Thanks a lot for that. I'll have to wait for them to reopen as they have now probably gone home. Will let you know how I get on.

Nigel

Got there eventually, thanks to TT support. This is what they told me to do:

"After researching the details of your account, I would also like to assure you that the Latest Map Guarantee is available for you to download. Please note that the Latest Map Guarantee will be for the map of Western Europe, as this map was pre-installed on your device.

However, before downloading the map of Western Europe v8.65 on your device, you would have to remove the map that is currently present on your device. After removing the map, please rename the download folder. This will enable you to download the latest map of Western Europe on your device.

To remove and reinstall the map can I ask you to carry out the below steps:

Step 1 - Backing up your TomTom device:

- Click ‘Manage my device’ in TomTom HOME and select the ‘Items on device’ tab
- Select the Map which is available on your TomTom device and ‘Postcodes’
- Click ‘Copy items to computer’
- Close HOME

Step 2 - To delete the map from HOME:

- Open HOME
- Login with your TomTom account
- Go to manage my device
- Go to items on my device
- Select the map which is available on your TomTom device
- Click on remove the items from my device

Rename the download folder

- Go to My documents>TomTom>HOME>Right click on Download folder and rename it as Download.old

Step 3 - Updates:

- Disconnect the device safely and Close Home
- Restart TomTom HOME
- In Home, click on Tools->Use Latest Map Guarantee

Once the download is complete, safely disconnect your device and check whether maps are working or not.

Also, please note that the MapShare feature is disabled after installing some of the new maps due to the fact that no corrections are yet available for some new maps.

Hence the message in HOME is ‘your map has not been updated for more than 20 weeks. Unfortunately Map Share map corrections are temporarily not available’.

Please bear with us while this maintenance is carried out. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused."

Is this likely to happen every time i do an upgrade? Hope not!

Is this likely to happen every time i do an upgrade? Hope not!
Nope - you just got caught in the crack right at the time of a new release. If you visit us regularly - or at least in about 3 months time, you'll find out when the next map is released. You'll need a subscription of some sort to pick it up, though. The Latest Map Guarantee is only designed to assure that the unit you buy is brought up to "current" map standards at TomTom, whatever that might be. I'm not completely familiar with the current state of update services available on your side of the pond at the moment, nor what they're charging. Seems to me the only option being offered (apart from updating one at a time, which is costly) for your model is the "1 year" deal, which will net you 4 new maps over the course of a year's time.

Ask a Question