Spreadsheet to POI file?

TomTom Model(s)
GO730
I have a Spreadsheet of the POIs and I want to create a POI file for my device. Question is, can I use PoiEdit to import an excel file? Do I have to create a txt file from this spreadsheet? If I can, what information would I need? I have long/lats (among a ton of other information, as I exported this from our Routing program, RoadNet.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I don't see anything that tells me how to lay it out. I played around with it and saved it as a xml spreadsheet (that appears to be the only excel format that it can convert) but it's not importing the lat and long in the right areas. They're switched around. I tried swapping the columns and resaving it but it's doing the same thing.

csv

I know that XL can save as CSV (comma separated variables). My memory of some of things I seen in various forums is that poiedit can deal with that. I think that is one used by garmin. Hope this doesn't add to confusion.

.CSV files is what is needed. Just use excel and click 'save file as' and on the type below, select the .csv file format.

So to be sure I'm doing this right, I have saved a .csv file and renamed it to a .txt file. Each line looks like this now that I've manually changed the phone numbers and descriptions:

-93.13030,44.83550,"1999 Minnesota SSC>18006880235"

//Edit: makeov2 will not open, I just get a flash on the screen then it disappears. dumpov2 works fine however...

Last edited:
So to be sure I'm doing this right, I have saved a .csv file and renamed it to a .txt file. Each line looks like this now that I've manually changed the phone numbers and descriptions:

-93.13030,44.83550,"1999 Minnesota SSC>18006880235"

//Edit: makeov2 will not open, I just get a flash on the screen then it disappears. dumpov2 works fine however...

Run it using Windows Command Prompt, m8. Type it in, not using Windows Explorer and double click.

I have a Spreadsheet of the POIs and I want to create a POI file for my device. Question is, can I use PoiEdit to import an excel file? Do I have to create a txt file from this spreadsheet? If I can, what information would I need? I have long/lats (among a ton of other information, as I exported this from our Routing program, RoadNet.

Thanks in advance.

Actually, what I did, save the spreadsheet as a ".asc" file. ASC is short for ASCII, then POI Editor can import that and use that. I did it for over 14000 rows in my excel file.

Good Luck

Where can I get bit lists of POIs? Is there such a thing as a list that is all major hotel chains? All gas stations? DLing and installing one at a time is insane. I don't have a particular city in mind as I like to travel and might be anywhere(at least in the lower 48 states).

I don't quite know where to start. POIs are for the TT1 V3, which has been modified to use a 4GB SD card, so space isn't really an issue.

are TomTom 1 POIs different from other TT devices? I thought they were, but I haven't been able to verify.

Thanks for the links!

Ask a Question