spoken street names on one xl-s

I just got a new TomTom one xl-s. I thought it was supposed say aloud the street names but it doesn't.

My TomTom shows to have 977.9 MB with 18.8 MB free. I found a place to download a computer voice - Dave - that is supposed to read the street names, but it is 45.2MB's in size. I apparently don't have room for it on my device and as the Maps take up 858.6 MB, there is nothing i can delete to make room for the Dave voice.

Can anybody help?

I just got a new TomTom one xl-s. I thought it was supposed say aloud the street names but it doesn't.

My TomTom shows to have 977.9 MB with 18.8 MB free. I found a place to download a computer voice - Dave - that is supposed to read the street names, but it is 45.2MB's in size. I apparently don't have room for it on my device and as the Maps take up 858.6 MB, there is nothing i can delete to make room for the Dave voice.

Can anybody help?
There is a computer voice that comes installed on the device. I forget the exact name but it's a woman. On the device where you change the voice, you will see 'computer' next to the name of the computer voice.

Add a sd memory card and you can add more computer voices.
Now four-variety.
does TOMTOM have proper directions on how to migrate to using a memory card? They don't make mention of it in the XL*S manual.

Add a sd memory card and you can add more computer voices.
Now four-variety.
Hello - I too couldn't figure out the text to speech for actual street names on my new XLS until I came across this forum several weeks ago. Seems like it took a reset to actually get the voice of "Susan" to activate and work properly..
I also would like another choice of voice besides Susan --- but it has to be a "computer voice". IrvinF - Where can one preview and download these voices? You mentioned there are a variety of 4? I can't find anything on TT site other than celebrity and other non-computer voices. Though Dennis H and T+T or even John Cleese would be fun, I'm 'hooked' on the street name announcement..
Thanks in advance..

TT XLS
TT Home: 1.6 (Mac)

Sorry for poor explanation-should leave it to others. SSHADOW stated better than I. When connected to HOME2, you can view,select and install on your TT.
Have four-2male and 2female.

Last edited:
I was also stuck with a similar problem and even tech support at TT did not steer me right... When in Tomtom Home, on the first screen, you have the first option to add maps, Traffic, Voices etc., choose this option. You are then presented with a first screen: maps, traffic, voices (not that one) and an arrow to a second screen where, on the second row, after gaz price, is "computer voices" which is the right one you want to use. You will be presented with choices in alphabetical order of languages. Don't choose a different language voice than the operating language choice you intend to use. When I tried Susan, American English voice in French, I was unhappy with the result! Your TT will not crash but what you'll hear is not what you expect.

I had assumed a French voice came preinstalled on my XL-S which was not the case. Tech support recommended I delete the whole Loquendo directory to make room for installing any additional voice. It was the case when I went this route. I don't know how it would install if you don't have the needed space available? Just make sure you backup before removing anything!...

Ask a Question