Speed vs. speed limit

Hello. We just got the TomTom Go 730 a couple days ago. It's our first GPS and we've been pretty impressed so far.

I was under the impression that the 730 would show your speed and the speed limit but so far I've only seen it display our current speed. Is there a setting to enable it? If so, I haven't been able to find it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Mike....on my 720, tap the screen and go in 'safety preferences' and check mark the box/boxes "Warn when driving faster thean allowed" and if you desire, "Warn when driving faster than a set speed" Then you will be given options to choose a warning sound for both, plus a choice of a maximum speed for you set speed limit.

Thank you imokah! I remember seeing those options regarding the sound alerts. I thought, for some reason that if I didn't pick an alert sound, then I couldn't be "warned". I just wanted to be able to see the speed relative to the limit, (eg. 55/50) so this time I checked the options you advised but declined the audio alerts on the next screen.

Speed

I believe you also have to have version 8 of the maps to get both speeds. Version 8 displays the known speed on a given road and the speed which you are traveling. Mine shows the actual speed in red when it is 5 miles over the map posted speed.

Hope that helps

If you just got your TomTom, check the version of the map. If it's not at least 8.0, then I'd suggest using the free map upgrade thru TT home to get it.

I believe you also have to have version 8 of the maps to get both speeds. Version 8 displays the known speed on a given road and the speed which you are traveling. Mine shows the actual speed in red when it is 5 miles over the map posted speed.

Hope that helps

If you just got your TomTom, check the version of the map. If it's not at least 8.0, then I'd suggest using the free map upgrade thru TT home to get it.

Thanks for the tip. I upgraded a couple days ago to App 8.301 (losing the FM transmitter for directions.:rolleyes:) and Map: 'Noth_America_2GB' v815.2019.

We took the 730 into Manhattan yesterday. It made some interesting route choices but that's another story.

Evidently, regarding suggested method one, 'enabling under safety preferences', (unless I was coincidentally on a road with an "unknown speed limit" initially) the device would not display the simultaneous current speed with the speed limit until I selected an audio warning. So, I spooked my wife out with the 'cuckoo' alert, every other minute. (lol)

I have to try crislevin's suggestion because, longterm, I'd rather not hear any audio alert, but it's not a big deal. (page 2 of status bar preferences offers: "show max speed next to speed--currently checked)

Last edited:
Last update on this...Sorry..Indeed it does show the speed limit even when choosing NOT to be warned. I guess my first experiences were on roads with "unknown speed limits."

Ask a Question