Speed Cameras in Portugal

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920, VIA 1535TM
I tried to subscribe to the TomTom Speed Camera service during my current stay in Portugal and was unable to do so by signing in to my account. I was not able to complete the transaction, so I contacted the local TomTom support and was told that in order to subscribe I would have to do it from the TomTom USA website.
Well, not exactly, as I soon found out. The USA website would ONLY allow me to purchase the speed camera package for USA & Canada.
Back to Support, I was then informed that it was necessary to change my TomTom address from the US to Portugal in order to be able to purchase the service for the Iberia map...
Well, this was becoming too complicated and my stay is close to an end, so I decided to give up on my intended subscription, not without feeling that, in this day and age, this is an awful way of doing business. I would accept, and would even be very appreciative, if TomTom warned me that I was buying a service that could only be used outside of the USA. In any case, TomTom knows, for sure, that I have their maps for North America and also for Iberia (Spain and Portugal) and that purchasing the Speed Camera service for Portugal would at least seem like a reasonable proposition.
Apparently, they don't see it that same way. Is this pure nonsense or is there any logical reason that I can't see or what am I missing?
All help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

This forum is not officially associated with TomTom, the company; as such, nothing much we can do or suggest. You'll need to pursue it with customer service. Sorry.

Hi, dhn:
Oh, I knew this forum was not officially associated with TomTom. But this is the forum I use to visit when I encounter an issue with my TomTom and I thought that,by chance, someone might have some kind of familiarity with the issue that could help me in taking a decision either way, to pursue it or just drop it. It was never my hope or intention to find a solution here...
Thanks for your reply, anyway.

Once back in the States call Customer Support and ask them about the absurdity of selling you the Iberia map but not the, for them, money generating Speed Cameras service.

Hello, Arno! Thanks for your suggestion. It shows that I'm not alone in thinking this is a perfect absurdity, to say the least...
Yes. That's exactly what I intend to do.

Ask a Question