Speed cameras have gone.

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
Any advice welcome here please.

I recently sent off my Tomtom GO520 to have it repaired by the excellent Richard Yates in Sheffield.

Got it back, and all working great with the very latest maps.

However, when I turned it on......because he had to change the Motherboard, I now have a TomTom Go720!!

Now, my question is this.

On my original GO 520 I had the Speed Cameras for the UK which were all working, along with the warning sounds and facility to report anuy new fixed or mobile speed cameras.

On my new repaired set, I have NO speed cameras, and no facility to report any new ones, although they are, of course in the memory of the new build.

I've tried to re-activate the cameras from the old backup, but it won't have it. Basically, because it's now a completely different TomTom. Confusing........I even had to register a "new device".

Short of subscribing to the speed Camera updates for a year, can I do it any other way. As said. I have the backup from my 520 before it went wonky on me, so I should have all the files required to make it work.....somehow.

Thanks for any ideas. :)

Have a look at the offering from PocketGPSWorld.com as there database is far more accurate and comprehensive, you can also configure it to read out the camera type and rated speed as you approach the camera and its updated each week (holidays excepted) - Mike

Mike is being a bit humble referencing the speed cameras at PGPSW. If I lived in the UK, I'd subscribe to them in a heartbeat as they clearly are superior to anything that TT provides.

And no, we get no commission here for promoting them; it's simply that waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many members of that Forum swear by them, not AT them for the files not to be great.

Return of my Speed Cameras !

Thanks guys for your help on this one. Took a look at the site, and have now subscribed to, and downloaded the relevant files to my Tomtom and all working again.

I agree, the scope of the cameras is MUCH better than the TT ones, and I picked up two sites on the way to Taunton on a regular journey to a frequent client this morning which previously were unknown to me.

Again. Thank you both sincerely for your help.

Keith Exeter. :) :) :)

Keith, Glad to hear you got sorted out, if you need any advice on setting up warnings etc while using this so the device can actually tell you the type of camera and rated speed by reading out something like "Warning Gatso ahead speed limit is 50 miles per hour" just ask, if you have got this functionality working or don't need it then enjoy the quality of the data and remember to report any locations where you find a camera thats not in the database, it might earn you a free life time membership - Mike

Cameras

Hi Mike.

I travel all over the South West from my base in Exeter, and never know from one day to the next where i'll be.

These new locations will help a great deal.

Although not a speeder by any means (value my licence and job too much), it's always nice to be reminded of a location, just in case I've got my mind on other things which I think we all do as drivers from time to time.

I've already done the setup as warn from 300yds, which will do me nicely.

Great and Thanks. :) :)

Satnavman of Sheffield are you out there?

Well, thought it would be too good to last!

Recently had my Tomtom Go repaired, after following a number of recommendations to use Richard Yates in Sheffield. Did that and spent ?100.00 getting it repaired, to include a 12 Month guarantee.

Unit failed only 6 weeks after being repaired, and despite returning it to Satnavman early September, I have yet to receive my unit back.

Telephone calls go unanswered. Emails are routinely ignored, and it seems that our Mr Yates has gone to ground. One thing is for sure, he hasn't got the decency to return ANY calls.

Having now read on another forum that he has been referred to Trading standards AND the Police, I am now taking immediate legal action myself to effect the return or compensation for my unit.
See: Motorhome Facts :: View topic - Dead Tom Tom

If you choose to send YOUR unit to him for repair, then be aware that there are BIG COMMUNICATION PROBLEMS once you have posted it.

The guy will NOT answer the phone. He will NOT answer any emails and consequently, you will never know when or if you are ever going to see your SatNav again.

You have been warned.

Ask a Question