Speed camera update????

TomTom Model(s)
via 1500
When I purchased VIA 1500 I discovered I have "speed camera" live option. There was a numerous spots with different options (speed trap, red light camera etc...) After my first "map update", all of those spots were gone. "OK, I said, it was some old spots, let's start from the top"...

Well, after couple of months I discovered on "MyTomTom content" that my speed cameras program is outdated...Well, I have to update it. I tried all I can from TomTom web. There was dead end. There is no way I can find my way to update that thing...

So, after some time, I asked support what is the deal? How I update "speed camera" that should be FREE OF CHARGE FOR USA (that's from their own web site: "TomTom’s Safety Camera alerts service is completely free to owners of compatible TomTom GPS devices in the United States."

I got an answer: I need to go to the THIRD PARTY WEB and PURCHASE speed camera software for $75.00.

Really?

I was trying to resolve that issue reading forum and I could not find any answers to that question. Is this the way how things work? Have you ever heard of this solution?

Who are those people at: http://shop.spotitout.com/products/rlsta-life-tomtomv

I am seriously confused...

Is your model a LIVE model?

Anyway, a 3rd party source for speed cameras that is much cheaper than $75 is the one from pocketgpsworld. Although based in UK, they do provide safety camera data for the States.

Here's their current coverage in the States:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/activecams.php

and more info here:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=66856

A 'bonus' is that one of the mods here (Andy_P) is also a mo at pocketgpsworld and can provide further assistance.

Who are those people at: http://shop.spotitout.com/products/rlsta-life-tomtomv

I am seriously confused...
I have never heard of this company. They may or may not provide a good set of data in regard to Red Light Cameras and Speed Cameras in North America. Personally, I would hesitate to send them $75 without additional knowledge.

I believe that TomTom only includes camera information as part of the subscription data service with the LIVE models, but that doesn't do you much good since I believe that the model that you have cannot receive LIVE data. (FWIW, the LIVE service is free for the first year in North America, and charges a fee after that.)

As dhn has mentioned there are other sources for camera data in the US. Personally, I use the files from POI Factory at http://www.poi-factory.com. These are maintained by volunteers, and I have found them to be more complete and accurate than the files supplied by TomTom. If you are an active participant on that forum, the files are free, otherwise there is a nominal fee for each update.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

My model is VIA 1500 TM.

I travel a lot in the state of Georgia and I can spot a lot of speed traps and report back.

Taking to TomTom support, the only thing I can understand is that they have STATIC (junction) safety cameras preinstalled on their units and they offer update on a day when you first time plug your unit yo their famous "MyTomTom". Now, after that, as I understood, they have no way to supply with STATIC or MOBILE speed cameras/radars/speedtraps...

I just sent question to support: Why they directed me to the company that nobody ever heard of it?

Looks like I am on my own from this point on...

OK, people. How I can install decent support with MOBILE cameras/STATIC speed cameras/radars/pop up cops/ speed traps and have it in relatively decent shape AND be able to warn others while I drive around?

Thank you.

Use the links to either PGPS World or POI-Factory above.
Their Camera alerts use the standard POI warning system on the TomTom.

Both sites should have detailed instructions for installing their files and setting up the warnings (PGPSW certainly does...) PGPSW is not free though. They charge a £19 subscription annually, but you get free life-time subscription if you report an new camera or a change to an existing one (see their T+Cs for details)

You can get a free speed camera database from trapster.com. Makes a new poi category and lists speed cameras under it as poi's. Set your tt to warn you about approaching poi's - and you're all set.

You can get a free speed camera database from trapster.com. Makes a new poi category and lists speed cameras under it as poi's. Set your tt to warn you about approaching poi's - and you're all set.

Can you please be more specific? In the new models, the country folders are no logner viewable through My Computer. You can only install POI through the TomTom website, and upon trying that, the device wasn't updated with the new POI. Tom Tom really did a number on us on this matter.

Can you please be more specific? In the new models, the country folders are no logner viewable through My Computer. You can only install POI through the TomTom website, and upon trying that, the device wasn't updated with the new POI. Tom Tom really did a number on us on this matter.
I have heard that this was a problem when the new models were first released, but this has not been true for some time. I do not use the database from Trapster, but my 1535 has a camera database installed on it from another source (POI Factory), plus at least a dozen other POI files, all of which I have installed using the MyTomtom software that is the equivalent of TomTom HOME for the newer models.

That software is not all that I would like it to be, but it is usable. For example, if you want to install a POI file, you browse to the appropriate folder on your PC, highlight the POI file you wish to install, and click on the appropriate icon. MyTomTom does not tell you where on your GPS that file will be installed, but it does install it.

Similarly, if you wish to remove a previously installed third-party POI file from your GPS, MyTomTom will do so, even though it does not tell you the location from which it is removing the file.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Guess I'm late to the party, but, IMHO, the MOST updated and largest network user input is www.phantomalert.com Not only a great redlight/speed cam poi software, but they are very involved in shining the light on this hidden and unfair (often corrupt) ticketing system.

Ain't no speed cameras for the Via 1530/1535

After a lot of chasing around, TomTom support finally coughed up the information that the VIA devices do not get speed camera updates. All that stuff only applies to devices using TomTom Home, not MyTomTom. They also don't sell subscriptions - no matter how many times you try to "go to shop", all you get is a 404. However, if you live in Europe, TomTom England will sell you a subscription for the equivalent of about $5 USD a year.
Personally, I feel cheated.

I don't see the 404 error, but I also note that their web page reads as you describe: "This free service is only available via TomTom HOME".

Clearly, this is something worth looking into, as from both a technical and $ standpoint, it would seem to be both possible and in the interests of TomTom and its customers. Our subscriptions here are, as noted on the web page, free.

In my part of the U.S., the TomTom list, when updates are available, is actually quite accurate - in particular, with red light cameras. Not just around here, but around the entire Front Range.

I'm curious to know what the story is behind this -- so I'll see if there is any information I can turn up to either help or explain why the Via units don't have an update path for the cam data. Now you've got me curious.

Pardon my cynicism, but I think its the money. TomTom is moving from Home to MyTomTom with its newer units, not to mention pushing "Live" products, all of which require subscriptions, i.e. cash up front. Way of the world. The current internet business model is monthly payments for things you used to get, or buy, outright. That said, you can get a "lifetime" subscription to Speed Cameras at https://shop.spotitout.com/products/rlsta-life-tomtomv ($75). Good luck on your investigation.

Good Product!!

Awesome Product!! This is PhantomAlert.com' snew product exclusively designed for TomTom. I have been a PhantomAlert raving fan for years now... using it on 2 prev Garmins and sidestepping ?? speed cams in DC & MD!!!

I Have a TomTom 11535 and it works well, just not as nice as in Garmin... glad to see Ted they listened to user comments; I will upgrade today. Many thanks, Let the competitive market determine who wins...us!

Pardon my cynicism, but I think its the money. TomTom is moving from Home to MyTomTom with its newer units, not to mention pushing "Live" products, all of which require subscriptions, i.e. cash up front. Way of the world. The current internet business model is monthly payments for things you used to get, or buy, outright. That said, you can get a "lifetime" subscription to Speed Cameras at https://shop.spotitout.com/products/rlsta-life-tomtomv ($75). Good luck on your investigation.

Speed Cameras updated (maybe)

I have a Smart 25 TT and I have paid the Europe Speed camera update. This morning, after the weekly update, I have noticed that the speed cameras were obsolete. Checking the Services on the TT, I read my Speed Camera were 26 months (!) old. Calling TomTom support, I was compelled to reset my device, delete the the old speed cameras and reinstall them. Now when I go to the TomTom site the speed cameras are obsolete, but on my device it says "Last update March 16th, 2011. Calling the support again, they told me it is only a message error, and my speed cameras are update at today. Is it true? How can I see the date of the downloaded files? Help me. Thanks. amd

Thanks

Thank you for your help. Funny enough, when I was beginning to apply your suggestions, I had a look at the state of the speedcameras: now these are no more "obsolete", but are marked as "updated". Yesterdays obsolete, today updated. This is very confusing and even the support call center had not a faint idea about a solution of this problem, With TT Home, life was easy, backup was not a problem. With myTT, I cannot see the device as an external HDD, and so I remain in the dark. I don't know if I'll ever buy another TT, for with this one the software was only a big headache. Anyway, thank you again for you kind and fast help. amd

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.
Then go to Home-->Manage my Device-->Items on Device-->Speed Cameras and select to remove.

Unfortunately dhn, the Start 25 is a MyTomTom device, so no backups etc possible.

@amdamonte... In a similar sort of way to what dhn was suggesting, you can go to MyTomTom and remove the speed cameras from the device (using "Manage Content"), then put them back again and see if the update dates become correct.

Speed Camera mistery

Thank you all. I stress this mysterious point: How come that Thursday the speed camera are marked obsolete and Friday they become updated? As it is not allowed to see the date of the file downloaded, I am compelled to do an Act of Faith. Frankly, I have not much faith in the TomTom team. For people like me, used to try (at least) to understand what we are doing with our computers, it is difficult to accept this situation. Thank you again. amd

Ask a Question