Speed Camera problem?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920, VIA 1535TM
I have a Via 1535 with free Map and Traffic updates and I have encountered no problem with these. I update my device using MyDrive and I have been able to update both the new maps as they become available and the satellite and map corrections with no issues at all. But I seem to be unable to update the subscription to Speed Cameras. I already uninstalled and reinstalled the safety camera software, following the respective instructions contained in MyDrive. However, the safety camera icon keeps showing "Speed Camera US - 1 time update expired - Renew". But when I click the icon to renew, I get the following error message:

"Sorry, the page you were looking for doesn't exist. (404 error)"

How can I properly update my safety camera service or what may I have been doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for help with this problem.

Jose Silva

Thanks, dhn, for your help in providing a number to contact TomTom customer service. As it turned out, there's probably no need to do that anymore. When I was ready to call, I received a response to a query I had sent through TomTom's website and here is what they say:

I understand that you are receiving error message while trying to renew the Speed Cameras. Please rest assured that I will do my best to resolve the issue.

I would like to inform you that currently, the Speed Cameras subscription is not available for purchase on the TomTom website. Hence, you are receiving the error message.

In order to purchase the subscription you will need to subscribe the service from third part web site. Below are the few the web link that will help you:
http://www.poiedit.com/
http://www.poiedit.com/
http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/subscription.php
http://www.poihandler.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fsecure%2fsubscribe

If you are unable to find the subscripting on the above web site then, you can Google it and find third party web sites.
If you require additional assistance or have any further questions, please do not hesitate to include them in your return e-mail, we are here to support your needs.Your satisfaction with the TomTom product is our prime concern.

Of course, I feel highly disappointed -- not so much for having to go to a third-party in order to purchase a product I had been provided as part of the package that came together with my Via 1535, which is bad enough -- but for the matter of principle of transparency and good faith in business transactions. I wonder whether traffic will fall as the next victim, followed closely by the "free map updates for life"...

Is this seriously ridiculous or am I missing something here?

To top it all, TomTom's site still states, as I write this post, that "Of course, Speed Cameras service is provided to you absolutely free". Is this a joke?

I have stated before that I became much less enthusiastic about TomTom after finding out, earlier this year, that the best replacement for my TomTom GO 920 would be a TomTom GO 920... which is no longer produced and/or marketed. In spite of this shock, I still insisted on going TomTom and I may have to start getting used to the idea that I and TomTom may have to part ways in the not so distant future... Which to me is quite sad...
But life must go on, with or without TomTom.

I would appreciate your own comments about these issue of the Speed Camera, as related above.

Thanks.

I'd call Tech Support back again. They're (as usual) half right. You cannot purchase a Safety Cam subscription for your device. They're supposed to be downloaded automatically, just as you thought. The Via1535 gets a 'hardwired' copy when connected. TomTom's Live units (e.g., GO1535) in North America get it over the air AND get a 'hardwired' copy when connected.

Hi, canderson!
Thank you very much for your suggestion and for the additional information you provided. I did contact Customer Service again and made a few observations, such as the fact that TomTom's site itself, under "Speed Cameras Update" clearly states this:

Safety Camera Cost
TomTom’s Safety Camera alerts service is completely free to owners of compatible TomTom GPS devices in the United States.

Googling "TomTom Safety Cameras" yields all kinds of information about this TomTom service but no reference is found to the discontinuation of this service. TomTom's site has also several references about updating and enabling Safety Cameras.

The end result of my contact, though, was just an exercise in futility because the CS representative did not even bother to address any of my questions regarding the discrepancy between her original information and what I gather from their site, from this Forum or from the internet at large. She just pasted & copied the information she had previously provided regarding the need for me to contact third-party providers in order to acquire the service! She even provides specific links to their sites! So, my case sort of turned into a case of a "deaves' conversation", so to speak.

I wonder what may actually be going on here...

Thanks again, canderson, for your kind support. Is there anything else you would suggest towards getting at least a logical explanation from TomTom Customer Service?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Zelopes

Last edited:
That's quite amazing! I've never heard of TT actually recommending their competitors services!

I wonder if the problem is only in the US or if it's happening in other countries too?

Hi, Andy!

No kidding!... But now you did. And it was in writing!

Thanks for your comment. I feel a little confused and and very, very frustrated. I was in Portugal when I first noticed that "expired" message under the Safety Camera's icon and the message "The page you are looking for does not exist" that opens up in a new page after you click on the icon. But I thought at the time that it might be due to the fact that this service is not available in that country, for whatever reason. Now, after trying it here in the US and having gotten the same error message, that's when I checked with TomTom and received the answers I shared above.

And, let me be clear, my aggravation does not derive as much from not being able to access the service than from the unceremonious way in which the "news" were thrown at my face, so to speak... Not a word of explanation, not the slightest attempt at an apology, nothing of the kind! And even after I returned to them, looking for some sensible explanation for the nonsensical nature of the whole thing, still not a single word of explanation...

To vent off some pressure, all that comes to mind is to ask the "passing winds" (as the Portuguese song goes) what on earth may I have done so badly as to deserve such an "undistinguished" treatment!?!?... :(

At this rate, what will be the next surprise? Only the gods may know...

Any suggestion on how to proceed from here?

Thanks again and best regards.

Zelopes

Would you forward a copy of the message received by you to canderson (a US beta tester) in a PM.
(Andy is in the UK and dhn and I in Canada.)

Yes, I'd very much like to see that, and perhaps we can discuss it with someone who can actually help you out. When you send the PM, please also include your unit serial number.

Hi, Arno and canderson,
Awesome! I will most gladly send it. I just humbly admit that I cannot figure out where to find the link for sending a PM... Please bear with me. I'm sorry.

Capture.JPG

At the top of this screen, you should see a link to the Inbox as I've shown.

Click on it-->select New Conversation (what this forum software equates to a PM), put canderson as the name of the recipient and put a copy of the message you received in the field and send.

I just humbly admit that I cannot figure out where to find the link for sending a PM... Please bear with me. I'm sorry.
If you have problems, send it to me at
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)

and I'll forward it to canderson.

I've been able to receive it, and after opening my eyes a bit, finding the content in the "PM" that was sent. I've posted it somewhere that I hope will achieve an answer.

That said -- I am recalling a personal experience with an old GO720, purchased and registered in the U.S., that I had in use in Europe. During a login attempt to perform an update there, I recall being blocked for one thing or another because my IP address was 'out-market'. By any chance did you attempt to update the camera information while in Portugal?

View attachment 4336
At the top of this screen, you should see a link to the Inbox as I've shown.

Click on it-->select New Conversation (what this forum software equates to a PM), put canderson as the name of the recipient and put a copy of the message you received in the field and send.

I've never done it that way.... I find it quicker to click on the person's icon or description (on the left of any of their posts), then click on "Start a converstion"

Hi Andy_P,
Thanks for your hint... It is in fact more expeditious.
Meanwhile, as an update to my issue, canderson is still working on it and I understand that the holidays may have been a possible factor in contributing to a more extended time before any fresh news arrived... Not that I'm implying any criticism, far from it and much on the contrary, I'm greatly thankful for all that you people have done in seeking a solution or, at the very least, a sensible explanation. No. I'm not in any kind of rush and the outcome of your efforts will not affect the great appreciation and respect you all earned from me. Just so that no misinterpretations may interfere in an otherwise exemplary case of benevolent help...
Cheers to all of you.

@Zelopes

Yes, still in a holding pattern here. As it turns out, I believe mvl (another of our moderators) is now following up on this on our behalf.

@mvl

Was the information I provided sufficient for looking into the issue?

Happy New Year to all!
In an off-topic subject, and while we are in this "holding pattern" (to borrow canderson's expression...) I wish to mention one other problem that may even be simple to diagnose and resolve. Or so I hope!...
Since two or three daya ago, whenever I try to update those small satellite and community map updates, which usually take only a few seconds, they are nou taking forever, like close to 1 hour!!!
Everything seems to go as normal and then it stops at the "12 seconds left" point with no error message. Eventually, after about one hour or so, it finishes without any explanation or excuse...
Any ideas about what suddenly started causing this problem?
Thanks for your help.

Hi guys!
While still waiting for any news on the issue about the Safety Cameras, I posted this question in my previous post and no reply came about, however, the problem remains and I have no clue as to what the cause may be.
The clock stops at the "12 seconds left", the fan keeps rotating but these 12 seconds will last for about 50 minutes.
One other thing is that the previous version of the software used to show the size of these small updates, but this new version mentions only "one update" or "two updates", with no indication about the size.
I wonder if there would be a relatively simple way or resetting my device without losing any important information, such as my favorite destinations, or even a complete restore. Is there anything of this kind that I could try by myself.
Any ideas will be much appreciated.
Thanks,

If memory serves, if you click on "More info" instead of "Update", it should produce a new screen with boxes for each update, indicating the size of each.

As for resets, no. The full system reset wipes out settings, favorites, recent destinations, everything.

Ask a Question