speed camera detector on tom tom sat nav

Sounds stupid...

I read sites that say its illegal to use speed camera detectors in france. Can i use my tomtom one iq routes edition (europe) in france, considering it has a speed camera detector on it. I read somewhere its ok to use the device.

Cheers

Considering that TT just announced a couple of weeks ago that Live service for their x40 units was now available in various European countries AND that Live included speed camera coverage, I wouldn't worry about it.

I've seen no reference in a British forum to any problems of users in France having an issue with speed cameras.

Speed cameras in Europe

I have travelled through France & Switzerland to Italy a number of times.
As far as I am aware it is only illegal to use the speed camera warning function in Switzerland, however each time I go through the border including into the custom post in Switzerland to buy the motorway pass (Biglett) it has not been chellenged (as yet).

Last time I drove back from North Italy I had more camera warnings from Dover back to Cambridge than I did from Italy to the channel tunnel. (more in 200 miles than 750 miles in europe).

Ian

It may be that it is illegal to use Radar Detectors that would receive a signal from the speed camera and alert you. The TomTom alerts you to the fact that you are approaching a set of coordinates where a speed camera is located. The TomTom would not alert you to a newly installed speed camera, where a radar detector would.

Speed cameras in Europe

TUKATZ is correct radar detectors are illegal in Eurpoe and the UK but as far as I am aware the TomTom camera function is only illegal in Switzerland.

Which raises the interesting question, how do they know if you have the alert turned on? Surely they don't stop every driver using a GPS and check the preferences.

Speed cameras in Europe

Hi this is posted on the TomTom site
"Regarding travel in or through Switzerland:
We are aware that the Federal Highways Department (ASTRA) has issued a statement related to GPS navigation and safety camera alerts. However, TomTom develops all of its products and services with ease of use and safety as a key priority and we believe that our safety camera solution enhances road safety and security in Switzerland. We believe our safety camera services are fully legal to use and to sell. As a matter of course however, we are working with ASTRA to fully understand their view on the current legal situation.
To ensure that your TomTom product meets ASTRA requirements we advise you to remove Swiss safety cameras from your device when travelling in or through Switzerland."

I have experienced, in the past, the Swiss determination to collect speeding fines. In 2004 (prior to having a TomTom) the Swiss Authorities tracked me down 4 months later in the UK to collect a speeding fine resulting from passing a speed camera over the limit. I had to pay up as at the time my car was a lease car and the lease company would have paid and charged me an excessive admin charge. The lease company also stated they have had instances when fines not paid the driver of vehicle has later been stopped. So the Swiss must maintain a list of registered owners who owe fines!

I would think if you are stopped for any moving traffic offence they would check your TomTom to see if the camera function is operative.

Ask a Question