speech recognition works out of the box? How is that?

I bought the go 720 refurbished (looks like new to me) and updated it on the web.

It has the voice recognition feature. The literature on this says that it shouldn't have it. It works very well. I mentioned this to tech support while asking about another issue (the fact that I must know the exact city...arghhhh) and they said it is a mistake that it is on mine and that if I update it, I will lose this function.

does anyone have any info on this? It was there before and after my update... I am not going to update again if it is going to take it off...

everything I read says you have to hackit somehow to get this function but it is there. Maybe the original owner hacked it? but I updated it.

again, any thoughts would be appreciated.

I also just bought a new 720 last week and the Voice recognition was active out of the box. The box didn't say refurbished, but it wasn't the black box. It was a white box and the Go 720 was a sticker as opposed to printed on it.

I upgraded to 8.3 app and 8.15 maps (LMG) and still have that feature. I do have the stuttering problem though.

I bought the go 720 refurbished (looks like new to me) and updated it on the web.

It has the voice recognition feature. The literature on this says that it shouldn't have it. It works very well. I mentioned this to tech support while asking about another issue (the fact that I must know the exact city...arghhhh) and they said it is a mistake that it is on mine and that if I update it, I will lose this function.

does anyone have any info on this? It was there before and after my update... I am not going to update again if it is going to take it off...

everything I read says you have to hackit somehow to get this function but it is there. Maybe the original owner hacked it? but I updated it.

again, any thoughts would be appreciated.

I just bought one (refurb) through Radio Shack as well and mine had the Voice working out of the box as well. I have since updated the software to the latest and also updated the maps to the latest and am happy to say that I still have the voice recognition features working. By the way you should be able to get the map update for free. Like another poster (sageuvagony)had told me, all you will need to do is call tech support and they will have you fax/scan/email in a copy of the proof of purchase and then link your account to a new map.

I will note that while I have not had any issues, and installed everything as per the manual. Others claim that do to memory constraints it is possible to lose the voice feature. The added feature of the new maps (8.15) that shows what lane you should be in on highways was worth the update to me even if I lost the voice feature though.

"D"

I just bought one (refurb) through Radio Shack as well and mine had the Voice working out of the box as well. I have since updated the software to the latest and also updated the maps to the latest and am happy to say that I still have the voice recognition features working. By the way you should be able to get the map update for free. Like another poster (sageuvagony)had told me, all you will need to do is call tech support and they will have you fax/scan/email in a copy of the proof of purchase and then link your account to a new map.

I will note that while I have not had any issues, and installed everything as per the manual. Others claim that do to memory constraints it is possible to lose the voice feature. The added feature of the new maps (8.15) that shows what lane you should be in on highways was worth the update to me even if I lost the voice feature though.

"D"

Since I store EVERYTHING (maps, OS, voices, EVERYTHING) on the 4GB SDHC card, I never run into space issues, therefore I still have my VR working as well. If the Home software senses that you are low on space while installing a new map/update, the VR speech files are the ones that usually get left behind.

re

doesn't running everything off the card slow the tomtom down. It can't be as fast as when it is in its own RAM.

doesn't running everything off the card slow the tomtom down. It can't be as fast as when it is in its own RAM.

Absolutely not. Not in my case at least. I have tested both and they run identical. And the device doesn't use RAM for its internal memory. It's more like flash ROM. It's no where near as fast as RAM.

I also have a Sandisk Extreme II 4GB SDHC card, not a normal speed SDHC card.

Ask a Question