Sound problems

Hi,
I have had problems with the sound coming out of my TOMTOM.
Sometimes the speaker makes cracking noises. Other times when the Susan computer voice tries to read something the sound drops in and out. It is almost like she's stuttering?
Should I take advantage of the warranty? How does this process work? Has any one had experience there?

-Genna

The stuttering is a known issue with firmware 8.3 if that is what you have.

Other factors to consider include whether you were running on battery only as contrasted to using the car charger. Battery only may cause sound fluctuation.

Also, if you have, under sound preferences, linking volume to noise level, try unchecking that to see if it helps.

The stuttering is a known issue with firmware 8.3 if that is what you have.

Other factors to consider include whether you were running on battery only as contrasted to using the car charger. Battery only may cause sound fluctuation.

Also, if you have, under sound preferences, linking volume to noise level, try unchecking that to see if it helps.

Where can I find out what my firmware is?
In Tomtom home the sys info page says program/navigator 8.3 is installed? Is that the firmware? I'm thinking yes?
So then when will they fix the problem? Its kinda a pain in the but especially if you have friends driving with you...

Sounds like the firmware installed.

You can also check the firmware version by tapping the satellite bars. The next screen shows the firmware version installed.

If you have f/w 8.3, you can try to roll back to an earlier f/w version if you've made a backup.

I started with 8.3....
Shouldn't tomtom come up with a fix..like fast? I mean this is a real bug
They cer

tainly sh

ould. The

stutt

tt
tt
ering is driving

us

nuts
!

PLEASE call tech support at TT if for no other reason than to add your voice to the many who are insisting they deal with this issue as quickly as possible!

If they are insufficiently sympathetic, stutter while you talk to them. Perhaps that will "enhance" the message.:p

Hi,
I've experienced the same problem of stuttering sound. (version 8.3)
The problem only started after 8 months of use.
I went back to the store and got a new one without any fuss.
Two weeks in with the new one, the same problem started again.
I tried the solution dhn proposed and it seems to solve the problem.
Unchecking the noise level automatic ajustment is most likely the solution to this problem. At least from the user end! If TomTom wants to keep a good part of the North American market, I think they better find a solution to this fast!
Prior to this, I had tried moving the unit away from the ventilation outlet thinking that could be the problem, but no results with that.
Thanks for the solution

I started with 8.3....
Shouldn't tomtom come up with a fix..like fast? I mean this is a real bug

One suggested workaround is to use a human voice for now. It seems to be worse with the computer voices.

TomTom has rushed bug fixes before, leading to releases that introduced many new bugs because testing was incomplete. Testing software is a delicate art, for more complicated than most of us would ever imagine (no, it's not just "did the problem go away when I did this & that"). For now, please be patient. They're aware of the problem and will release fixes for this and other problems in 8.3 soon.

Ask a Question