Sony XNV module not recognized by PC

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720, Sony XNV
I just got a Sony XNV-770BT and the XNV module is not recognized by the computer. I have downloaded and am running My TomTom. I have tried it on 2 different computers and have tried different cables. I have also tried resetting it with no luck. The module has been plugged into my computer all night and the light is still red.

Any ideas?

Thanks for looking in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recognized how? As a removable drive? If that unit is on the new platform requiring MyTomTom then it won't show as an external drive; it should show as a network connection.

Recognized how? As a removable drive? If that unit is on the new platform requiring MyTomTom then it won't show as an external drive; it should show as a network connection.

Not recognized at all. The computer doesn't know it exists and MyTomTom tells me to connect my device.

Reboot the computer. Try a reboot again on the unit by holding the power button till you hear the drum sounds. Use the cable that came with the unit. Use a usb port on the back of the computer, not the front and not a port in a usb hub.

This is the XNV Module for the Sony XNV-770BT Head Unit. There is no power button on it. I have reset it several times. I have rebooted both computers several times and have the original cable plugged into a USB port on the back of the computer.

The light on it is still red after being plugged into the computer overnight.

I'm beginning to think this thing is no good.

Update: I unplugged the module, pressed the reset button for 20 seconds, and plugged the module back in and it connected to the computer & MyTomTom recognized it.

I must have done this same maneuver 20+ times with no luck. Fingers crossed!

If you never updated the unit before, you likely have the old firmware that's really finicky with computer connections.

A couple of things to try:

- plug directly into your computer (no hub in the middle), and if you have a laptop keep the laptop plugged into AC.

- Once plugged in, do the 20 second reboot, if MyTomtom recognizes it, update the firmware (Navcore) as soon as offerred (don't update maps if offerred, make sure you get the new Navcore first to stabilize the USB connection.

It worked once for you... keep trying.
Once you've updated the software, it should connect easier.

It didn't updated Navcore when it did connect. This is very frustrating. I have had several different TomTom's and never had a problem. Ilike the TomTom and that's why I bought this Sony.

Contacted TomTom Support and the module was eventually deemed faulty. I now have a new one and it connects first time, everytime.

Thanks to everyone for your help!:D

Ask a Question