Some help requested on mail order buying

Hi guys

A few questions, please.

I'm in the UK but will shortly be traveling to the US and New Zealand.

I want to buy a 700+ or 900+ TomTom from the US where they are much cheaper. I have a US address and debit card so I guessing not much problem there.

I'd like to have US/European/New Zealand maps installed as I won't have easy internet facility on the trip to purchase as add ons.

The questions

Is my aim of getting the maps pre-loaded reasonable?

Can any of you guys recommend a mail order seller?

Any disadvantages of going with a refurbished unit ?

Many thanks

Graham F

A 930 will have both NA and European maps preloaded but they will be out of date (new maps came out TODAY). You would be able to update IF you were connected to a computer AND if the unit was new. Refurbs sold in NA are not eligible for the LMG.

US mail order places (like Amazon.com) will normally only ship to US addresses. There may be an issue with a Debit, rather than a Credit card. Some places don't accept Debit cards.

There is no way to have NZ maps pre-installed unless you were to: 1) purchase the unit 2) have it shipped to a US address 3) have the person there install the software and purchase a NZ map for the unit 4) and then you pick up the unit.

All pretty convoluted.............

My suggestion would be to try to find a NEW 920 in Europe, upgrade the application (effectively turning the unit into a 930), get the newest WE and NA maps via the LMG, buy the NZ map while still in Europe and install there and then bring the unit with you to US and NZ.

Ask a Question