Some bad news, for sure...

A little OTT?

I must be reading a different statement, I don't see anyhting about banning 3rd party apps!

All they said is that they are no longer going to produce updates to the SDK or provide support. So what? MS no longer support Windows 95, but it still works!! Anyone who bought the SDK still has it, and I have no doubt that SDK apps will continue to work into the future.

Unless, I missed something, they don't mention anywhere that future versions of their software will not be compatible with SDK applications.

Worst case: future software updates break all SDK compatibility. I think this is pretty unlikely. Even if this does happen, just don't upgrade your software.

Most likely: future software will continue to allow SDK apps to function, developers just may not be able to access features newly introduced in the future.

Remain calm people....

I must be reading a different statement, I don't see anyhting about banning 3rd party apps!
All they said is that they are no longer going to produce updates to the SDK or provide support. So what? MS no longer support Windows 95, but it still works!! Anyone who bought the SDK still has it, and I have no doubt that SDK apps will continue to work into the future.
Unless, I missed something, they don't mention anywhere that future versions of their software will not be compatible with SDK applications.
Worst case: future software updates break all SDK compatibility. I think this is pretty unlikely. Even if this does happen, just don't upgrade your software.
Most likely: future software will continue to allow SDK apps to function, developers just may not be able to access features newly introduced in the future.
Remain calm people....

I think you miss some important informations... Each time Tomtom has delivered a new version, there were backward compatibility problems.

I already know that the last new device (One XL) doesn't support my plugins, for example.

So, discontinuing the SDK means "no more plugins", except if the users don't updgrade their software, which means that users accept to miss some new and interesting functionalities...

TomTom Reply

I email TT the other day and got this response this morning:

Thanks for contacting TomTom regarding your recommendation. I am more than glad to assist.

Thank you for sending your recent letter regarding a suggested enhancement to our software. We value our customer's input and appreciate the time you have taken to provide yours. I have forwarded this on to product management for consideration.

I hope they understand that the SDK is not a suggested enhancement to our software but a kit for software developers. I hope the tech really did forward it to the right people.

I email TT the other day and got this response this morning:

I hope they understand that the SDK is not a suggested enhancement to our software but a kit for software developers. I hope the tech really did forward it to the right people.

TT said this just to try and keep you happy i bet they just hit the delete button dosnt sound like they care to much!

This may push me out of TT use. This is why I went with TT, because of the 3rd party software, and tweakability. Change that, I might not be able to overlokk as many things wrong with TT as I do now.

This is a standad email. I have several of tem with the same exact text!

Would it work using 2 SDKs? Use one for the TT updates and keep an extra card with Tripmaster on it? It seems that all version updates would be done to the SD card which would prent adding plugins to it. Incovenient- but it would be useful when Tripmaster is wanted.

Would it work using 2 SDKs? Use one for the TT updates and keep an extra card with Tripmaster on it? It seems that all version updates would be done to the SD card which would prent adding plugins to it. Incovenient- but it would be useful when Tripmaster is wanted.

It is not possible.

The SDK is not a complete software, but just a collection of libraries to link with the program you're developing, so that it can run on a specific version of Tomtom software.

Tomtom stopping to enhance its SDK means that all plugins developed with the last version of this SDK only run on the corresponding version of Tomtom software.

Aside of that, the new devices, like One XL and certainly GOx20, have got a new screen with new characteristics and all the plugins that were using the display functionalities of the SDK produce a garbaged display. I've found a solution for the Rider2 because the "garbaging mechanism" was easy to understand, but it's an uncomplete solution. On the wide screen devices, there's no solution except that Tomtom changes its opinion and releases a v7 SDK...

It is not possible.

The SDK is not a complete software, but just a collection of libraries to link with the program you're developing, so that it can run on a specific version of Tomtom software.

Tomtom stopping to enhance its SDK means that all plugins developed with the last version of this SDK only run on the corresponding version of Tomtom software.

Aside of that, the new devices, like One XL and certainly GOx20, have got a new screen with new characteristics and all the plugins that were using the display functionalities of the SDK produce a garbaged display. I've found a solution for the Rider2 because the "garbaging mechanism" was easy to understand, but it's an uncomplete solution. On the wide screen devices, there's no solution except that Tomtom changes its opinion and releases a v7 SDK...

If that is the case - I just may not upgrade when the time comes. Your program is great and I feel that it is very worth having. Tom Tom should reconsider but you know that they will not!!

Ask a Question