So my 720 doesn't know the difference between left & right :(

Is anyone else having this problem? The text to speech will say turn right, but you are supposed to turn left. This has just been one disappointment after another.

Do you mean that the voice tells you to turn right but the display is pointing to the left? If so, this never happened to me. Try choosing a different voice and/or try a pin reset.

There are quite a number of posts indicating that the TT avoids left turns.

Yes, to clarify. Speech is saying turn right, but the display is showing I should turn left. Or vice versa.

The display is correct.

I've had several tomtom units now and none exhibited this behavior. Try a hard reset. Keep us posted!

This happens quite often on interstates, only, during the run-up to an exit. Many times it will say "take the exit left". Later, as you approach the exit, it changes its mind and says "turn right". Doesn't seem to happen on lessor, single-lane roads.

But right now, I have a different problem where it can't acquire satellites at all --- unless it's in the cradle linked to Home!

Havent had that happen but some times my TT tells me to follow the route for another x miles but the x is wrong...example..."follow this route for 9.5 miles" but the screen says that it is 13 miles long.

Sat signals

yup. every time before I take off on a trip. I love that feature because it finds the satellites almost instantly.
Give this a try. Configure the satellites. From the nav. screen tap on the bars in the lower right , then on the green sat bars. the next screen brings up 10 bars at the bottom showing which sats and their strength. Select "Configure" and the done on the next screen. Leave the unit (on of course) in a window or your vehicle for a whole. this should fix the problem. Also make sure you have the latest Application software via TT Home. Hope this is of value!:)

Yes, to clarify. Speech is saying turn right, but the display is showing I should turn left. Or vice versa.

The display is correct.

Is the problem at just the one point of your trip or is it for all turns? What voice are you using? Which map version and application version? Thanks!;)

Is the problem at just the one point of your trip or is it for all turns? What voice are you using? Which map version and application version? Thanks!;)

It's not for all turns but it is a majority of the time. I'm using Susan *computer*. Latest map update that took 24 stupid hours, and latest firmware.

Thanks.

Just an update today I exchanged out the 720 for a 920T. All of my problems are gone, and have to say I'm really loving this thing. If your area has traffic, it's well worth the extra.

If you're on an Interstate and you're approaching a Y where another highway or interstate branches off, and yours is on the left branch, and just after that you exit on the next road right, mine will say "Stay in the left lane, then Turn Right." It always baffled me why it wants me in the left lane to turn right, but I figured it only does this when there is a larger highway or interstate exit along your path that it wants to make sure you stay on your highway going straight, which typically is in the left of the Y branch.

Not sure if that clarifies the issue at hand, but sounds similar.

Havent had that happen but some times my TT tells me to follow the route for another x miles but the x is wrong...example..."follow this route for 9.5 miles" but the screen says that it is 13 miles long.

No, that's by design. It's telling you to keep on the same road for 9.5 miles. (At that point, there is probably a major split in the road that you could take, but don't.) At the 13 mile point, you will be instructed to leave the road you're travelling on.

So...in summary, the mapping is working as designed.

It happens in my locality where there is an intersection where years ago you just made a right hand turn. Now there's a cloverleaf there and it says "exit right" and "turn right" when you actually exit right and turn left. partway through the cloverleaf it recalculates and gives correct voice instructions.

On my earlier map version this exit/intersection was shown just as a right turn even though the cloverleaf was and had been there for years. so the new map fixed the routing and fouled up the voicing.

Ask a Question