So Basic It's Silly - Finding a Place w/a One 125

Hi everyone -

I am the proud owner of a new (well, new via eBay) TomTom One 125. I purchased it when I realized that for the price of the GPS option on our rental car for a week, I could own my own portable GPS.

I already have a Toyota navigation system in my car, so I am used to using that to get places. I am finding that with the TomTom I have to get used to a whole new method of navigating, via POI's and such, and that's where I run into a problem so basic, that it's silly. I've searched here (and all over Google) for an answer, but no one even seems to address it, so clearly I'm missing something.

How do I search for something in general, without having to go to a POI category for it?

For instance, I wanted to look up a bike shop in Lake Tahoe. I knew the name of the shop ("Tahoe Bike Shop") and the city it was in, but not its address.

On my Toyota, I can just start typing in "Tahoe Bike Shop" within the city and it will find it (if it's been around long enough). But on my TomTom I have no idea how to find it without looking up the address elsewhere first and manually entering that in. There's no "Bike Shop" POI category from where I can search.

Is there a way to just search by name in general like that? And if not, doesn't anyone miss that? :eek:

:)

Thanks!

I think your model should work like this:

Navigate to-->poi-->in city-->(Nevada/Lake Tahoe)-->Any Category-->FIND-->Start typing part of name you want and all those with that combination of letters should appear.

Something like that, anyway.

There's a "search by name" function for POI on my 720. Navigate to -> POI -> POI near you -> search. "Bike"

The One 125 is ultra-low-end, so I wouldn't be surprised if that feature was disabled on your model.

Also, the tomtom have mid-range and high-end POIs. The mid-range POIs don't have many shops, and seem to focus on restaurants and gas stations. The High-end POI only seems to be offerred on the 140, 340, and the 9xx series tomtoms.

I think your model should work like this:

Navigate to-->poi-->in city-->(Nevada/Lake Tahoe)-->Any Category-->FIND-->Start typing part of name you want and all those with that combination of letters should appear.

Something like that, anyway.

Thanks dhn. I try this, and I think I need to go to "Search POI"... so I entered in say, "Tahoe" in the search... but it only searches ... get this ... fire stations!

When I browse POI's I see the fire station icon is in blue... meaning I guess that it's highlighted for searching, but no way to change it that I can see.

I reset it to factory defaults a couple of times yesterday, and I don't know how it's highlighted for fire stations. Very strange. Maybe if I hook it up at home tonight I can find out how to deselect that.

Try a reset of the unit (I think your model requires holding the power button for about 15 seconds).

Do you have a poi option of 'any category'? If so, try to choose that icon for FIND.

There's a pretty good chance that you don't have Bike Shops preinstalled.

Since you don't have the large built-in POI file, you can add in any of the tons of user-created POI files in HOME, or in the POI section of this forum.

Try a reset of the unit (I think your model requires holding the power button for about 15 seconds).

Do you have a poi option of 'any category'? If so, try to choose that icon for FIND.

Hey dhn...

I don't have a POI option of Any category. :(

I think that there's something up with my unit (it was a gently-used eBay one after all, maybe this is why they eBay'ed it?)... I did a factory reset just now with the option in the menu, and then I did the 15 second hold for a full reset/reboot.

When I try to "search POI" which is, I think, the equivalent of any category (or should be) it still only shows fire departments. That would explain why nothing ever comes up with that search.

Hmph... Googled TomTom one and fire departments and got nothing helpful. ;)

In my Tomtom (also a 720, like DHN), I don't have an "Any category" option either.

The equivalent step would be "Navigate to" -> "Poi in city" -> Tahoe -> "Search POI". Then you can type in bike

Of course DHN and I had a number of emails back and forth a month ago, something's broken with his POI menus.

If all you've got pre-installed is fire departments, then you'll probably have to go and download more POI files from HOME.

Last edited:
In my Tomtom (also a 720, like DHN), I don't have an "Any category" option either.

The equivalent step would be "Navigate to" -> "Poi in city" -> Tahoe -> "Search POI". Then you can type in bike

Of course DHN and I had a number of emails back and forth a month ago, something's broken with his POI menus.

Yup mvl, that's what I'm doing...POI Search... When I type in "bike" i get nothing because it's searching among fire stations... :eek:

I just got off the phone with the TomTom support folks. The guy said I have to have a route planned in order to search for a POI in city, which makes no sense to me. I'm going to keep playing with it... I have the addresses I need for my trip, so it's not a deal breaker, it's just not convenient for other esoteric searches is all...

Going from memory because my unit isn't in front of me.

Maybe I DON'T have an 'any category', either :eek:

I'll check later.

The POI section of the forum is here:

TomTom POIs - TomTomForums.com - TomTom & GPS Navigation Community

You can request major chains and people will make/download them for you. For individual POIs you can add them yourself via mapshare.

There's a huge POI file floating around for the GO models, but it doesn't work on the 125 model.

Wow, 12 minutes and 6 attempts it took me just to reply to this message due to the slow/non-loading pages here at the forums. Browsing/posting on this site is becoming unbearable.

Anyways, the large POI database doesn't work on the 125? How come? I'm assuming it's a space issue? I used to always load the 9 series large POI databases onto my ONE XL with no problems at all. I would only have to use the poi.dat file since ONE models don't use the crpoi.dat file.

Wow, 12 minutes and 6 attempts it took me just to reply to this message due to the slow/non-loading pages here at the forums. Browsing/posting on this site is becoming unbearable.

Try the tests at broadbandreports.com - my computer has no issues loading up the website. Something's up with your computer's connection.

Anyways, the large POI database doesn't work on the 125? How come? I'm assuming it's a space issue? I used to always load the 9 series large POI databases onto my ONE XL with no problems at all. I would only have to use the poi.dat file since ONE models don't use the crpoi.dat file.

Although I've never tried myself, other members have posted that since map 815, the POI files use a new compression methodology on the IQroutes models, and non-IQroutes models can't use them. When was the last time you tried the poi.dat file on your ONE XL?

diertac, you can test out sage's theory by trying to copy the POI files from this thread. Back up the original file from your USA folder before trying it.

It was a while ago that I had tried that on my ONE XL. I was using map 810's POI on map 720 on the XL I believe. You might be right though because things did kinda change. I would have thought that the ONE models are also using the new compression algorithm though...

And as far as my connection, my speed results were 21.438 Mbps Down and 5.783 Up, and that's with me using Verizon Fios (Fiber optics)

I have no problems with any other sites, ever. I even made a thread here about this loading issue and other members reported having the same problems. dhn also responded back saying that this is an issue the owner is aware of and is currently working on it. This doesn't occur all the time, it's just random when sometimes the pages only half load. Happens with Vista 64, xp 32 and have tried with different browsers such as Firefox, opera, comet bird, IE 7 and 8, safari (my macbook pro) and 3 different PCs also.

I even took both my macbook pro and my dell laptop and went to my back yard, hopped on my neighbor's internet connection, I get 75% reception, and still same issues. It's not my end where the problem lies :(

Ohh well at least I've been 80% successful in replying to posts within the last hour compared to a few hours earlier where my success rate was at around 40%

Frequently the last few days, I suddendly get the page not found or similar error here when I'm just moving from one new message to the next. Rob said the ads placed here by the company he employs to do so are regional in nature. I wonder if that is why some are affected, others are not. The refreshing of ads somehow screws things up.

For example, if I click on the TomTom News forum, the view is always butchered for me.

The "page not found" error I used to get alot before the form software change. I had even made a thread about that error because I thought it was just me getting the error. I do still get that error but not as frequent. In fact, I've only gotten it about 4 times since the change. I prefer the error than the half/non page loads though :eek:

And yea, the news page is just a huge mess. I hate to be dogging this new site/layout but doesn't it seem to you that this site looks like everything is out of place? I really miss the old layout. Every icon, picture, avatar fit snugly into its place. Now the avatars are out of place, the TomTom hands under our names are out of place, and the site just looks very generic. What were the reasons to upgrading the site anyways? I at least haven't seen any spam since the upgrades at least (well I have't at least) and this site looks alot like Honda | Acura Research, Reviews, Performance Parts, Owners - Honda-Tech.com which is a site which I am always at as well. I'm a computer and car guru :)

Edit : Sorry for going off topic like this. I don't mean to sound like a cry baby or anything, just a bit irritating at the randomness. I still love TomTom Forums :)

Last edited:
Ahh... the ads are probably the issue. I use adblock which is probably why I have no problem.

And yes, since map 815 tomtom makes different maps for IQroutes devices (app 8.2 or later) vs non IQroutes devices (app 8.1 or earlier).

North America (IQroutes) is 830.2284. North America (non-IQroutes) is 830.2283.

Diertac would need to find the poi.dat file from 830.2283, which is harder to find since it's only offered to owners of the 910. Then diertac needs to see if it even fits on the 1GB of space on a ONE 125.

The easier option for diertac is to just download the poi's chain-by-chain in HOME, as needed. And add individual POI via mapshare.

Last edited:
1GB of space?!?! Yea, the POI database aint happening unfortunately.

Edit : I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!! I just installed Adblock plus, and so far so good. The pages load INSTANTLY.. No more loading from top to bottom. Only thing now is that I have to use firefox, but I could care less. I like firefox too :) We'll see how it works for the rest of the day. It used confuse me as to why my browser would take up almost 600MB to 1GB of ram just for being on this site. Some of these ads appear to be flash with some heavy graphics. Even though I have 8GB of RAM, that doesn't mean a single program like IE should be taking up so much RAM just for being on one site like the forums here.

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Last edited:

Ask a Question