So Angry

TomTom Model(s)
One 3rd Edition
:mad:
I have searched high and low for an answer but maybe I haven't been asking the right question. I hope someone here can help.

I updated my TomTom about 2 weeks ago, and since then, it loops on startup. By that I mean, when I start it up, I get my image, the drum beat, then a legal disclaimer (where it has an "I agree" button on the bottom left) and then it repeats the process over and over again until the battery dies, or until I hit the Reset button on the bottom.

I understand that to be a "soft" reset. I have also done the "hard" reset (where I hold the power button and the reset).

I have uninstalled the new TT Home version and reinstalled the old one and it didnt make a difference. I can connect to the computer but only for a moment and if I keep TT Home closed and go through my computer and view the files on the TomTom, the folders are empty, and then if i go back to the main folder all of them disappear leaving me with a blank folder.

I have given a full charge and am ready to either make it work with some help from you folks or drop it into the bathtub. I would prefer to make it work, obviously.

Thanks for any help you all have to offer.

*CLIFFS*
TomTom no work
Tried most remedies
Need help before I electrocute myself in tub:eek:

BTW Im new here, name's Ryan. I have lurked for about 2 weeks, great site!

I have uninstalled the new TT Home version and reinstalled the old one and it didnt make a difference. I can connect to the computer but only for a moment and if I keep TT Home closed and go through my computer and view the files on the TomTom, the folders are empty, and then if i go back to the main folder all of them disappear leaving me with a blank folder.

I have given a full charge and am ready to either make it work with some help from you folks or drop it into the bathtub. I would prefer to make it work, obviously.

Thanks for any help you all have to offer.

*CLIFFS*
TomTom no work
Tried most remedies
Need help before I electrocute myself in tub:eek:

BTW Im new here, name's Ryan. I have lurked for about 2 weeks, great site!

If you use Explorer, there are NO files in any folders on the unit??!! And what do you mean by "if i go back to the main folder all of them disappear leaving me with a blank folder. "?? What main folder?

Have you made a backup and, if so, have you tried restoring to the unit? (If you do have a backup, use Explorer to copy everything back). OPlease report back..

Hi Ryan....welcome to the board.

I second dhn's comments about a backup....have you made one and have you tried to restore it?

You may also wish to try the Clear Flash utility from TomTom as this seems to correct some odd behaviors with TomTom's:
>>> Clear Flash Utility <<<

It sure sounds like a file was corrupted during the update. I think the bios flash mentioned by Birdman is the best first move followed by reinstalling the backup if you have one. I believe that your problem definately warrants a call to customer support. It could be that you just need to remove and reinstall all files but there could also be a hardware problem. In any case, the fact that the problem started when you installed the update tends to point to a problem that they should resolve.

This also makes a good case for having a backup. The TT server is sporadic and file corruption is a definately a possibility. It sounds like this problem is just that.

Not sure how many amps are in the TT battery so electrocution in the bathtub may not be feasable. But to be honest with you, I don't believe I'd be the first one to volunteer for that experiment:D .

I had the same problem awhile ago. I had to reformat the SD card and then download new software. The file you have right now is corrupt!
Once I downloaded new software and did the above its been goodtimes!

If you use Explorer, there are NO files in any folders on the unit??!! And what do you mean by "if i go back to the main folder all of them disappear leaving me with a blank folder. "?? What main folder?

Have you made a backup and, if so, have you tried restoring to the unit? (If you do have a backup, use Explorer to copy everything back). OPlease report back..

Main Folder question- I mean when I go into my computer and view the drive that shows up as TomTom it initially shows the files until I click on one, then they all disappear. The entire drive shows as empty after I click on one of the folders.

Backup question- Never. Just got it for my Bday and used it for about 3 days before it went kaput. Stupid I know, but this time I will definitely make a backup.

SD Card- No slot on here for one. (TomTom One)

Clear Flash Utitlity- Will try tonight, but if I dont have a backup made, how will I get the TT working again? Maybe I should read that post first.

Thanks.

Main Folder question- I mean when I go into my computer and view the drive that shows up as TomTom it initially shows the files until I click on one, then they all disappear. The entire drive shows as empty after I click on one of the folders.

Backup question- Never. Just got it for my Bday and used it for about 3 days before it went kaput. Stupid I know, but this time I will definitely make a backup.

SD Card- No slot on here for one. (TomTom One)

Clear Flash Utitlity- Will try tonight, but if I dont have a backup made, how will I get the TT working again? Maybe I should read that post first.

Thanks.

The Clear Flash Utility will not erase the memory on your TomTom...is clears the CMOS settings of the device that may get corrupted. All of your files remain on the TomTom after you use this utility.

If you do this and it still appears that you have nothing on the TomTom, you may be forced to try and reformat the drive using FAT16 (called FAT in windows XP). This WILL erase all data on your internal memory.

I have used this procedure many many times on my SD cards and it should work exactly the same for your TomTom ONE 3rd Edition that only has internal memory. I follow this procedure:
1) After I plug in my TomTom, I insure that I close the TomTom HOME program (this means right clicking on the icon that shows in the lower right tray of the Start bar and clicking EXIT)
2) I then find the TomTom using Windows Explorer and right click on the drive...Windows will give you the option in the menu to format....I then format with the FAT format.
3) Once this procedure is done, then I manually start TomTom HOME.
4) HOME always recognizes that I am missing the TomTom operating system (called TomTom Application) and it will search the web and come back with the option to install this applicaiton.
5) I install the TomTom application from step 4
6) I then go to the HOME menu and select the "USE LATEST MAP GUARANTEE" option to get back my USA_and_Canada and my Guam maps.

I purchased my unit 3 months ago and I still, to this day, can use this procedure on an entirely blank SD card, so I would have to believe it would work for you.

If you still have problems after this, I would CALL (not email) TomTom support and I'm sure they would help you out.

New Devlopments

Okay, I downloaded the Flash Utility and it didnt recognize my TomTom connection, so scratch that.

I check the format option (simple enough) and go for it. Followed the instructions to the "T" and right as its about to finish, an error message pops up and says "Windows was unable to complete the Format." Okay, par for the course.

I opened Home and re-connected my TT to the computer (via USB) and I get the little hand with the X over it saying please wait (as always) and it goes away and the Device Menu never becomes available for me.

I check My Computer for the drive and it shows up again, so I close Home (even in the SysTray) and click on the Drive for TT. Nothing. Nada. Zip...

However, as I am typing this message my TT is looking back at me, showing me a picture of it being connected via cable. It is a picture within a picture. It is almost surreal at this point. Beautiful...

BTW, I have invested in a new toster to take in the bath that should help with the electrocution. Anyone else want to try, you can do it after me. I dont want to clean up anything in my final, frusterated moments.:D

Wow....I'm amazed at the connectivity issues you are having.

So, you state that your last situation is that the TomTom appeared to be connected....However, it sounds like you may not have any more files because of the 'almost completed' format of the TomTom.

What was your next steps and what is your current situation?

My next steps were
1. Go to fridge
2. Grab Beer
3. Open and Enjoy

I just left it. Im going to call the Customer Service number tomorrow morning.

I have a feeling that you are going to have to contact TT about this. If TTHome is not allowing you to put Navcore back on, I don't think you have any other option... (That I know of, since you don't have a backup.)

Just a thought about your problems: it sounds as though you're having connection problems with the device or with the internet (downloading TT content and files). You might want to try to connect the TomTom and also download the updates and utilities, via another computer or with someone elses internet connection and also try a new USB cable. Again, just a thought to see if that's the problem.

Any luck yet with customer service?

Ask a Question