Slow to recognize new location

If I use the Tomtom 540 WTE to go from place A to place B, and then turn it off, and the next day start from place A to D, it thinks I am going from B to D and takes several minutes of driving before it recognizes where I am. Is there a way to tell the GPS to reset and look for a new location? And is there a way to tell it to make the current location a favorite destination (if I don't know the street address, or if the street address covers the entire mall).

Hi and welcome to TTF!

. . . Is there a way to tell the GPS to reset and look for a new location? And is there a way to tell it to make the current location a favorite destination (if I don't know the street address, or if the street address covers the entire mall).

Yes, it could take a few minutes to find satellites especially while moving. I turn on my GPS and allow it to lock on to satellites in the clear before starting a trip.

1) To reset your trip, tap on the part of the screen containing your mph, heading, etc. The next screen should allow you to tap "Clear Route." You can then return back to the menu which contains "Navigate to" and proceed.

2) If you tap on your screen, one of the next menu choices should be "Add Favorite." Choose whichever criteria you desire.

Hope this helps.

Firstly, as said above, it will be much quicker at achieving a "lock" if you let it find itself before you drive off.

But the main suggestion I have is to always have it on while you are driving...
You say you went from A to B with it on....but then switched it off and went back to A again.

If you can have it switched on while you go back from B to A, and THEN switch it off, it will know where it is when you switch it back on again.

Ask a Question