SLOW Performance!!

TomTom Model(s)
Navigator 6 on Treo 700p
Hello All. this is my first post on the forum and I can use some help. I have been using Tomtom for Nav 2005 for palm Treo 700p succesfuuly for some time now. I just upgraded to Navigator 6 (compatible with 700P). It installed just fine. I installed the recommended (very large) USA and Canada map on a 2 gig sd card. I connected up to the sats no problem. When I planned a short 20 mile trip, it took at least 15 minutes to calculate the route (unacceptable) and once on the move, the turns etc lagged WAY behind my actual position making this map file unusable..
Is this because the map file is 1 gig? I since installed smaller maps and that greatly improved performance. STill not a as good as TT Nav 2005 but acceptable (so far.) I like the seamless maps (now that I'm retired I'll be on the road), but if I can't improve performance I will probably go back to TT Nav 2005. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Using a Belkin Bluetooth GPS which works fine. Thanks very very much.

sorry toothman. I can't help but I read your post. I don't have a palm. i've customized my ONE and I love it.

I suspect it does have to do with how large that map is. How fast is the SD card you are using? I'm going to try to put the larger North America map on my ONE using a 2g card and am wondering if I'll run into this same issue.

Thanks for getting bck to me franchee. I thought perhaps that as the map loads it uses internal memory (which is limited) and that also slows it down. I also read in another post that hi-speed cards don't make a difference as they are only hi-spped when writing to them (not reading.) I suspect that you'll have no problems with the "One" as it is a dedicated device. I'll wait until I hear from more Palm (Treo) users before I make the switch back to Navigator 2005.

I thought perhaps that as the map loads it uses internal memory (which is limited) and that also slows it down.

Yep. I don't know the specs of your palm but the ONE is "dedicated" though HIGHLY configurable. The ONE v2 might be worth looking into and save your palm for other apps? Just my thoughts...

Hey battam. thanks foir the reply. the cpu speed of the treo is around 360 mhz (if I remember correctly) which is comparable to some standalone units. The difference being that the Treo has a bunch of other apps on it and is a phone as well.

I would assume some apps are running in the background.... Can you shut any down before you run TT nav 6? I'm looking up the CPU speed of the ONE for comparison.

Hey battam. thanks foir the reply. the cpu speed of the treo is around 360 mhz (if I remember correctly) which is comparable to some standalone units. The difference being that the Treo has a bunch of other apps on it and is a phone as well.

hhmmmm...
Tech specs onthe ONE v2

- High sensitivity GPS chipset
- 32MB RAM
- CPU 266 MHz
- 3.5 inch full TFT color LCD touchscreen
(320 x 240 pixels, 64,000 colors)
- Internal Litium-Ion battery (2 hours operation)
- 3.8? x 3.2? x 1?, 6.5 oz.
- Operating temperature: 14?F to 130?F
- Bluetooth 2.0

266MHz v your 360MHz... maybe you have too much running while trying to run Nav 6. I don't know your palm but see what's running and see what you can shut down. you should be fine I would think.

Can you give me exact model of yor palm and OS? Maybe I can help out more...

the only apps that are running that I'm aware of is the bluetooth app and the phone.. I could turn the phone off but that's not going to happen. Unlike window's Mobile device's you can't multitask with Palm so there won't be much running other than TT and the phone. If it is a internal memory problem, all I can do is delete some apps. Will see what happens. Time to go to bed. thanks

Palm Treo 700p. Palm OS 5.4.9. Note I did not have this problem with Navigator 2005 for palm.
Correction the cpu speed is 312 mhz.

Last edited:
battom. I talked to TT support (35 min hold) and here's what they told me and what I did. They said that my problem was installing the maps and app on a 2 gig sd card. (The Treo is compatible with 4-8 gig cards.) the tech rep didn't know why TT wouldn't work well with a 2 gig card but she told me to install it on a 1 gig card and all should be ok. I did that and it SOLVED THE PROBLEM!! A 1000 mile trip calculated in about 20 seconds vs 15 min for a 20 mile trip on a 2 gb card. I think you folk with dedicated TT devices should take this into consideration. Thanks for all your input (all of you.)

That's the first I've heard a smaller card giving better performance.

same brand? I'd be interested to know that one....

Glad you are all set though!

Ask a Question