Slow Acquiring Signal

Ever since my last software update my Go720 has been slow to find a signal. Sometimes taking 2-3 minutes. I use my TT with my business going from house to house. Time is money!
Any suggestions?

A pin reset sometimes helps. Also, when was your last update of a gpsquickfix?

I thought I had a recent update, but after posting earlier I connected up and it said that I had software update available. gpsquickfix was one of the updates. I down loaded them. I'll see Monday if it made a difference.
Thanks

My experience with mine has been I need to update the QuickFixGPS at least once a week. Any others found this to be true?

Another thought... TOMTOM Store is selling external antennas for the GO series for $12.48 plus shipping. If you're in a city where tall buildings are an issue, the external antenna will make a difference.

Is there an antenna connection capability on the X40 models, (mine being 740)???. I don't see any antenna connector as other models, since it has the powered base. I too occasionally have weak signals and sometimes slow acquisition even with all updates.. but antennas are relatively cheap and can only help.

Last edited:
My experience with mine has been I need to update the QuickFixGPS at least once a week. Any others found this to be true?
yup. I don't use the thing regularly and when I turn it on it takes a while . . . update it and it is a quick satellite find.

Here is something interesting I noticed today. I had earlier connected my TT 740 to my laptop and selected SD card as the connection when prompted. HOME gave the normal update list, including today's QuickGPS fix update. I ran it and seemed ok. I had then disconnected and powered up to run to check settings, and took a few min to get a valid signal, and as others have noted the updates usually help. well after reading this post, I reconnected my TT, but for no particular reason selected internal as the connection. Checking Show Contents, NO QuickGPS Data was listed... Odd. Disconnect (per HOME Disconnect Device) and reconnected, but selecting the SD storage location.. went back to Show Contents.. AHAH! QuickGPS Data was listed and location was indeed my SD drive with today's update. Checking, I found it on the SD drive: ephem folder, 3 files dated today. 1 file on the device ephem folder, dated last week. I copied these to my device folder (verified my manual backup was current - The Golden Rule) and restarted my TT again, selecting internal memory. Show Contents now has the QuickGPS Data. Restarted TT and it immediately got a signal, i mean less that a couple of seconds..
Question now for this forum: does getting updates when external storage was selected cause updates to not be loaded and accessed properly?? I definitely notice a difference in how fast it gets a signal, after I made this change.

Ask a Question