Size of v810 POI database??

TomTom Model(s)
TT Go 720
I was wondering if anyone knew how large the POI database on the new v810 map for the TT Go 720 is compared to the v720 map. I had loaded a POI database for a 9x0 unit with a v805 map onto my 720 with map v720 since it was bigger. I was wondering if the 9x0 series v810 maps had a larger POI database than the v810 for my 720. If so, would anyone have the POI files from the 9x0 v810 maps available to download? Thanks!

I looked at the v810 file last night and it wasn't very much larger than the v715 file I have so I bet the POI's aren't any bigger. I plan to use larger POI files when I install the 810 maps if they'll work.

I was able to use the 9x0 series POI from the v805 map with the v810 map on my TT Go 720.

I don't get the fascination with POIs sometimes. If you know where you're going to go (to the store, at least) before you leave, you can jump right onto Google.com/maps, find the location, and send it straight to your GPS, where you can navigate to it, save it as a favorite, or create a new POI under it.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=4&query=google+maps&FID=9550

This is something I do almost all the time. The only time I do use the POI database is when my friends and I are already on the road and want to check something out we didn't plan on going to, see what's around the area.

I don't get the fascination with POIs sometimes. If you know where you're going to go (to the store, at least) before you leave, you can jump right onto Google.com/maps, find the location, and send it straight to your GPS, where you can navigate to it, save it as a favorite, or create a new POI under it.

My fascination with POI's is that very rarely do I know where I'll want to stop :) along the way. I just don't plan well enough to know where or when I might want to stop for breakfast, lunch, dinner, fuel, snacks, etc.
For example; we were returning from camping last weekend and I knew I needed to fuel up within about 150 miles. We also left early enough that we didn't fix breakfast. Here's where the POI's shine. I powered up the ole 720 (with the large POI's) and selected navigate to fuel along route and voila there were dozens of choices, all I had to do was pick one within 150 miles and it took us there. While we were at it we decided that we would stop and eat a bite somewhere close to the fuel stop so again I searched for restaurants close to the stop and chose one and routed to it after fueling.

As a side note: We were in a remote campground so there was no Google, in fact there was very little cell signal, so that wasn't an option at all. :) You can never have too many POI's!!! :D

I agree. I enjoy the freedom to just tap the screen, and find what I'm looking for! I have used it several times on trips where my wife says "I'm hungry", and we find a place to eat that suits everyone!

Where are the factory installed POI's located in the TT 920 App 8.101?

You mean application 8.010? Anyway, they're installed in the specific map folder (like North_America). There are 2 files: poi.dat and crpoi.dat.

Ask a Question