'Simplest' route?

I've used tomtom6 naviagtor a while back and always noticed that compared to directions from Google maps, TomTom's routes are usually more complicated. For example, TomTom would pick a route with 25 directions while Google Maps would only have less than half that. Maybe Google Maps knows that its routes will be printed out and so picks the routes with the least instructions? And it seems pretty dangerous if I have to look at the map display to figure out what it wants me to do when just the voice prompts are not enough.

I find it extremely nerve-racking when tomtom routes me through a complicated multi-lane highway with instructions every few minutes. I rather take a longer but much simpler route than worry about weaving through a knot of highways. Does TomTom now have something like 'simplest' route or something to that effect?

TT is far from perfect. Actually I have been somewhat dissapointed with mine (xls) for several reasons. However considering the price and the capabilities it does have I have to say it was a good purchase. The software could easily have been better without much more effort IMO and more capable But with the assistance of Tyre I am able to use it with confidence. Without Tyre I would probably sell mine to the first person to make an offer.

Using Tyre would allow you to simplify your routing if at all possible.

Last edited:
with the assistance of Tyre I am able to use it with confidence. Without Tyre I would probably sell mine to the first person to make an offer.

Using Tyre would allow you to simplify your routing if at all possible.

I agree. Tyre makes it the GPS unit that "could have been".

I am planning a 17 hour trip with Tyre which I will be taking in a few weeks and I find myself adding many waypoints along the route so that my XL will follow it. Every now and then I ask myself "isn't the gps supose to know the best way there instead of me telling it where to go" :(.

Oh well, maybe one day Tomtom will put out a miracle update that will solve all the routing problems.

Every now and then I ask myself "isn't the gps supose to know the best way there instead of me telling it where to go" :(.
Sorry, but this is a typical issue with gps users.
Why on earth you want the gps, a piece of electronic controls you (or controls over you), route you, guide you where or how it wants to, instead of the other way around, you take controlled of it, you let it route the way you want.
Doesn't matter how good it is, you should have controlled it through from start to finish.

Sorry, but this is a typical issue with gps users.
Why on earth you want the gps, a piece of electronic controls you (or controls over you), route you, guide you where or how it wants to, instead of the other way around, you take controlled of it, you let it route the way you want.
Doesn't matter how good it is, you should have controlled it through from start to finish.

I purchased a electronic GPS because I travel to places that I have never been to and seeing as that is what a GPS is for, yes I expect it to take me down the right route. When I select "Quickest Route" I expected it to take the quickest route and not me have to show it the quickest route.

I've used tomtom6 naviagtor a while back and always noticed that compared to directions from Google maps, TomTom's routes are usually more complicated. For example, TomTom would pick a route with 25 directions while Google Maps would only have less than half that.

You may notice on occassion the routes are the same, but the tomtom will have a new line (instrucion) everytime a roadname changes. You see this a lot following highways where two highways merge and/or where one breaks off. The tomom will have an instruction at each point but google does not.

The built-in navigator in my car (eclipse) has a feature where after entering a destination, it will show me three routes to choose from so it's easier to compare routes than tomtom's 'find alternative' feature. Too bad it doesn't list the number of turns per route in the choice screen. This is a feature tomtom should have.

It doesn't seem that hard for tomtom to add a feature to calculate a few routes and add a preference to prefer the one with the least turns. I need this as a preference so if I make a wrong turn or deviate, tomtom will not automatically choose a more complicated route without me having a chance to review. Funny, I never heard of Tyre and thought people were talking about an especially helpful board member. :) It sounds nice but would only be useful for certain planned trips. It would be more useful if TomTom had a way to store and restore previously planned routes (ala favorite routes).

I can see how problems in the teleatlas maps can cause more turns to artificially appear such as with segments of the same road having no name, a different name, or a name abbreviated differently (I hate trying to decipher some of these abbreviations and suspect it makes TTS hilarious).

Calculating routes can be a very time consuming process depending on a lot of factors but usually distance is the main factor. If you want to do so on a short distance, calculating 3 or more routes may not represent a big delay but when over a thousand miles, you may curse the madatory 3 options and even more so if you start deviating from your route, as I often do, which forces it to recalculate the whole route.

I've looked at a few test reports on navigation gps and TT was the fastest for route calculations.

I normally use Google for long itineraries and MS Streets & Trips.

Funny, I never heard of Tyre and thought people were talking about an especially helpful board member. :) It sounds nice but would only be useful for certain planned trips. It would be more useful if TomTom had a way to store and restore previously planned routes (ala favorite routes).
...QUOTE]

The TomTOm XL has Itenaries that allow you to store multiple preplanned routes. Works great for longer trips where you know the route you want to take. ANd Tyre works with it just fine. But I've noitced as anohter poster mentioned that the TT tends to give an instruction when roads merge or diverge, even if you don't need to do anything. But no big problem for me.

Rick

Ask a Question