Shut-down image

TomTom Model(s)
Rider 2
Hoping someone can provide the answer:

I made my own start up image as per TT support site instructions and that works just fine.

However, that same image is now being used as the shut-down as well. Even using the shut down images on HOME doesnt help, I just get the start-up image.

The startup is just named splash.bmp (converted my pic to a 24bit bitmap). The original TT file gets renamed to splash1.bmp so that you can keep it on your device directory.

What should the shut down image be named?...or is that even the problem. The shut down image does show up in the directory of my Rider2.

Cheers

Try renaming it as shutdown.bmp

If that doesn't work, I think this might: rename it to antitheft.bmp and then in Safety Preferences, check the box for Warn when leaving the vehicle.

But try the first suggestion first....:eek:

Try renaming it as shutdown.bmp

If that doesn't work, I think this might: rename it to antitheft.bmp and then in Safety Preferences, check the box for Warn when leaving the vehicle.

But try the first suggestion first....:eek:

Your second suggestion might very well be his issue......a missing antitheft.bmp

Tried doing it both ways, now it doesnt show up on HOME under "show contents of Rider" (no shutdown showing at all).

Using Explorer, it is showing on my device, but doesnt actually work. Still getting the start up on shut down.

Cheers

Tried doing it both ways, now it doesnt show up on HOME under "show contents of Rider" (no shutdown showing at all).

Using Explorer, it is showing on my device, but doesnt actually work. Still getting the start up on shut down.

Cheers

Old stand by try pin reset.:)

Update :: I see lightning fingers beat me to it LOL

Last edited:

Cheers

Further info......I dl a shutdown screen from TT using Home just to confirm the name the file was. It was 'antitheftw.bmp' as it should be for my 4.3" screen (if I don't set my warning, I won't see it on shutting down).

So, what is the size of the screen you are using? If it is also 4.3, make sure your shutdown image is named like mine and set the warning. If your screen is 3.5, then make sure the file is named antitheft.bmp .... without the 'w', and set the warning. Bet you see it then! :) :p

Pin reset, it is named antitheft.bmp and the warning set (I have never had the warning set, and it always showed the "factory" shut down before). I diddled about and got it to show "on my device" and "on my computer" again, but its still not working.

The Rider uses the smaller screen.

cheers

Last edited:
The only other thing I can think of is that the size of the file is not appropriate for the unit to display. If you've got a couple of minutes, I'm providing a link here for an online splash generator.

You can upload the same image from your computer and let the application create the file. Then rename as appropriate and try again.

p.s. your file IS in the root of the unit, eh?

The size is 320x240. Not entirely sure what/where the root is. When I open my device using explorer, it is listed without opening any of the folders. Same as the splash file for the start up pic.

Cheers

Yep, that's the root.....loose file, not folders.

I don't know whether you meant to say this but I think the size should be 240x320, not 320x240.

The only other thing I can think of is that the size of the file is not appropriate for the unit to display. If you've got a couple of minutes, I'm providing a link here for an online splash generator.

You can upload the same image from your computer and let the application create the file. Then rename as appropriate and try again.

p.s. your file IS in the root of the unit, eh?

Very nice utility, thanks!

This worked for me. It appears that the image size must be exactly correct, for my TomTom One, to work. (Didn't work for the downloaded images from Home, for example!) Your utility created the required size perfectly.

To the thread creator....the wide-screen devices should NOT be 240x320 size - these are for the 3.5" devices, not the 4.3"!

The TT support page talks only of a start up image and states that for a 3.5" screen the pic is 320x240:

http://us.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bi...3RleHQ9c3RhcnQgdXAgaW1hZ2U*&p_li=&p_topview=1

I have an older 675 map on a seperate SD card that I was able to put a custom start and shut down image on. I checked and they are both 320x240, named splash and suspend.

I will try the method using the splash tool that has been suggested and see what happens.

Appreciate the input so far...

Cheers

Last edited:
Well guys, I tried the splash tool with no success. I did note it changes the files to 240x320, but my original (came with unit) start screen is definatly 320x240 and the original shut down is also 320x240.

I followed the directions with that tool and when connected to HOME, there were no start up or shut down icons even shown, although using explorer, they are indeed on my device.

Perhaps the Rider2 is a different beast.

Cheers!

Last edited:
as a last resort if you have a complete backup of the unit before you lost your antitheft file why don't you just format your unit and reinstall your backup with explorer.

After thought in your last post you state when comnnected to home they
Do they show on your unit when you start/turn off unit when not connected to computer.

Last edited:
I think I will just leave well enough alone. I have my start up screen with a pic of my VStrom, and it shows that when I shut down.

Maybe I shall play with it at a later date.

Cheers and thanks for the suggestions...

Those are the exact steps I have taken, with no success. I can get the start up to work just fine, but no shut down.

In the mean time, tonight I installed an 815 map in my Rider2 (I was bored...)

Cheers!

Last edited:
crazy thought and I didn't read the whole post so please don't shoot me !:D

But have you tried downloading a new shutdown screen via home ?

Last edited:

Ask a Question