Showing road you are on, while navigating to a destination?

TomTom Model(s)
TT ONE
I have a ONE, and am trying to figure out how to display the CURRENT road I am on, while I am driving a route. It displays the current road, if I am just driving around without calculating a route. When I do calculate a route, it only shows the road I will need to turn on (the next turn). It also shows the next major motor way (like the next big Freeway), in the top right corner while on the route. Tomtom support says:
---
Main Menu > Change preferences > Status bar preferences > Street name; will show the name of your current street on the bottom of the screen while in a route.

Main Menu > Change preferences > Name preferences > Show next motorway / signpost; will show the next street or exit you are to take in the upper right corner of the screen - while in a route.
---
Which, by the way, is exactly what I would like - but not what is happening.

Here is the settings:
Status bar preferences is set as follows:
Remaining time [x]
Remaining distance [x]
Arrival time [x]
Current time [x]
Street name [x]
Speed [x]

Name preferences is set as follows:
Show house number before street name [x]
Show street names [x]
Show next motorway / signpost [x]

In other words, I have everything selected for both ?Status bar preferences? and ?Name preferences.? The name for the current street I am on still does not show up on the bottom of the screen while in a route. The name of the street I need to turn on shows up. The name of the next big motor way (e.g. Freeway, etc.) shows up in the upper right hand corner.

Anyway, sorry this is such a rookie question. :confused:

street.jpg

Is this something like what you are looking to see?

do you have this checked off in Status bar preferences? If so, try unchecking it and click done, then go back and recheck it. Also, when you connect to TomTom HOME, does it want to do any updates?
status_bar.jpg

I don't know if it matters on the ONE but I don't have house numbers before street name checked, I am not sure if that is something that actaully works on the ONE? Pedro...do you know?

Last edited:
Sorry, had to re-read your post.

No Nav, current street in status bar:
street_nonav.jpg

SAME location but with Nav:
street_nav.jpg

Status bar now says next turn....hmmm

This is your issue. Correct?

Just checked he manual. It seems the above images are how it works. To see your the street name you are currently on you cannot have a destination set. (page 34)

Yes - that is it! With Nav on, I would rather see the street I am on rather than the street I need to turn on, on the bottom line. I would also like to see the street I need to turn on in the top right hand corner at the same time. I know I can simply click the screen, and open the menu, which will show the street I am on (even in Nav mode), but that is hard to see sometimes.

When I went to Niagara Falls from New Hampshire the week after Christmas... on the highways. I'm pretty sure it DID say what road i was currently on in the status bar and the upper right gave exit / next road info.

Maybe it's speed/distance sensitive. I'll have to take a drive and test that theory.

Hmmm - bummer. Oh well, I guess I should probably know what street I am on anyway. Thank you very much for your help. Besides, I can just click the screen once to go to the menu, and get the information.

yeah... if you don't know where you are, you can't get to where you want to be
oh wait.....isn't that what a TomTom is for? :)

If I (or anyone else) finds anything, I'm sur eit will get posted!!

clscoolsign.jpg

I browsed through the manual.

I think I know how to get BOTH next turn AND current street showing on the same screen.

You have to lock out the map. i.e. "Turn off map display"

That way, it only shows you the turn that's coming up and at the bottom shows your current street and at the top, the street you need to turn onto.

my "how to" got blown away after 45 minutes of editing my post. Might as well stay up all night now see and try again. no point in going to bed just to get up in 2 hours for work.... @!#$%^&

It wasn't in my custom menu anymore either. I didn't think I would ever need that. I removed the custom menu (temporarily), and set it up this way. It works, so long as the map is not showing. I set mine up, so the maps would go away after a specific speed. When I exceeded the speed, and the maps went away (just showing the turn), it did show the road I was on, and the road to turn on at the same time. I guess it comes down to a choice:
While in NAV mode:
1. Don't show maps, but do show the road you are on and the road you should turn on.
2. Do show the maps, but don't show the road you are on.

I didn't think I would like not showing the maps, but actually, it wasn't really that bad. When you are going fast down the highway, it is best not to be looking at the maps anyway.

Thanks - this has been fun.

wasn't fun for me lastnight.... I was editing for 45 minutes and got logged out and lost everything. I was dumb enough to start over and ended up going to bed at 4:15AM this moring. Got up at 6 and the day.....dragged........by....

Fell alseep after dinner and something woke me up. Now here I am again. Midnight. Looking at consumer reports for my next new car...

I just got my one this past weekend so if this wrong please forgive me.

This isn't an exact solution to what your looking for but if I touch the screen while navigating, on the bottom it says Current Position : "street name"

Kind of a PITA but at least it tells you what street your on.

Ask a Question