Show "next street" on a tomtom XL 2?

I just literally bought this, I thought all sat navs had this feature, but all I got is road numbers?

Anyway of showing the next road name you are turning into instead of the number?

Thanks for any help!

Yours is a basic model so I don't know if it has the setting to show street names or not. Perhaps someone will pop in here with more useful information.

Hopefully there is some sort of hack?

The annoying thing is, I bought it today from argos, but apparently it's exempt from being returned unless its faulty, so I can't even swap it for another brand.

I don't understand how tomtom can think having a number of a street displayed is more handy than the name of it?

Thanks anyway, hopefully someone else can help me.

THe XL2 is definitely missing some features, but I would have thought that if it was missing the "next street" feature, then it simply wouldn't show ANYTHING rather then only showing road numbers.

So when you say you're only getting the street numbers, what do you get when you're in residential streets that don't have numbers?

Incidentally, it's pretty normal for ANY TomTom to show the road number for major roads, so for example, you'll get "A1" instead of whatever name that section of the A1 might have.

Basically, when you in a street, the name is displayed at the bottom, but the turning rd is always called a number (a1130, b1120,etc), I haven't got a clue why they would think this was handier, but that's how it is, is there no way to fix it?

Really frustrating.

---------------

Tbh, I've been using it on demo, as I'm not picking up my car till tomorrow, but I assumed it will have the same display (a124 instead of station rd, etc).

----------------

The stupid thing is when you view the route in text, all the street names are listed, so god knows why they swapped them for numbers in the driving mode.

--------------

THe XL2 is definitely missing some features, but I would have thought that if it was missing the "next street" feature, then it simply wouldn't show ANYTHING rather then only showing road numbers.

So when you say you're only getting the street numbers, what do you get when you're in residential streets that don't have numbers?

Incidentally, it's pretty normal for ANY TomTom to show the road number for major roads, so for example, you'll get "A1" instead of whatever name that section of the A1 might have.

It doesn't seem to show small residential streets at all.

Wish I got a mio now, might try and take it back and see what argos say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Do I just download the files and place them on the sat nav somewhere?

Im Not the best with computers and don't wanna break it.

And sorry I did see that thread, but wasnt sure if it was the same model.

download and unzip sdkregistry.zip. You should then have "sdkregistry" folder with some files in it

Copy the sdkregistry folder to your tomtom. Copy into the top folder, i.e. the root directory where all the other files and folders are.

eject tomtom

your tomtom should now have a more full menu. There is an option to turn on next street name.

delete the folder from tomtom to revert.

You might want to backup your tomtom first too. I didn't bother, but people recommend it...

Ask a Question